Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Guinea pig having his abscess lanced.

PetsRLife23

Cavy Slave
My baby boy Oliver is having his abscess lanced as we speak. I wanted to know if anyone has had to go through this and how did your piggie do? I am so anxious right now. Also I have him and another boar in a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 loft, I adopted them together in February and I did weekly checks for lumps, but this past month I was slacking because my cat had an abscess and has been healed for about a week now.

I hadn't really been weighing and or feeling for lumps during that time and when I did start again at the end of last week I was shocked to actually find a lump right under his right ear. My vet said it was possible it happened back in February so my other piggie may not be the cause. Does that sound correct, is that possible? It was about the size of a blueberry.

I have never seen them fight ever, but my other pig Kaden is the dominant one for sure. Sorry I am just rambling now, I am just really anxious. Also any tips for dealing with a recovering lanced abscess? Also I paid about $50 to have him checked and $215 to have his abscess lanced. Was this a good price? I honestly would have paid more as long as he got help, but I am just curious. Thanks!

Is your vet lancing or removing the abscess? I've had two abscesses treated. Neither required surgery. The first was due to a bite and the second formed after having a male neutered. Prices vary by state and vet so it's hard to compare. It's been years since my female had her abscess but it wasn't expensive to treat. My male's was treated for free by the vet because the vet considered it part of his after neutering recovery. Just make sure you keep the wound open and keep it cleaned out. The vet will probably give you a chlorhexadine solution to dilute and use to flush it. They might also tell you to put warm compresses on it to draw out the pus. They will also prescribe an antibiotic. You'll want to give a probiotic with it. Abscesses should heal from the inside out and if you allow the wound to close, it will start to fill with pus again. The pocket will get smaller and smaller as long as you keep it cleaned out and will eventually heal and close up.

I already have the probiotic and he is having me flush it out with diluted betadine. He is lancing it. Thanks for the info about a warm compress. Thank you! :)

I already have the probiotic and he is having me flush it out with diluted betadine. He is lancing it. Thanks for the info about a warm compress. Thank you! :)

You're welcome. Both of my guinea pigs healed nicely and fully recovered.

He is home now eating some veggies. Everything went great. The hole really freaks me out, but I have to get used to it and keep it clean. He was sent home with baytril. I was wondering if they ever give guineas pain medication? I feel bad for him.

If you think he's in pain, call your vet and ask if he can prescribe Metacam.

He seems to be okay, but I know piggies don't always show when they are getting sick or if they are in pain. I will call him tomorrow if he shows any signs of being in pain. Thanks for everything :)

Oliver has been doing good. I split the 4x2 cage in half to keep my pigs seperated for now. Last night when I was spot cleaning, I put one pig in with the other and my dominant pig out of know where started to chatter his teeth. I put him back on his side immeadiatly. I am just figuring that Oliver's open abcess changed his smell and that is why this happend, but Oliver the one with the abscess and not dominant one started rumblestrutting.

He has never done that before only Kaden (dominant one) has. I am scared now that when Oliver is healed they won't be able to be housed together. What steps can I take to reintroduce them when the time comes? Also is this normal in this situation with Olivers abscess? They used to be best buds. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.