Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Guinea pig has dandruff? PLEASE ANSWER

CruisersMommy

Cavy Slave
Hi my guinea pig's name is Cruiser., He sheds a little bit nothing durastic. and he is white then like dark so in his dark fur he has what looks like dandruff. white specks. He looks and acts pretty normal. i catch him itching sometimes but all guinea pigs itch right? So my question is, is this normal? :confused:

Actually dandruff is really not normal some do shed more than others.I would get checked I have 2 &1 has dandruff and ill be taking him in.its better safe then sorry, mites can be fatal.where usually don't become drastic til its really bad already

Thanks i dont know... My mom will just think im paranoid how can i get her to take him to the vet?

It is a bit costly because you want to get your piggy to an exotic. So the visit maybe anywhere from 35-55$ the needs they give which is topical is about 10-15.I mean tell her you're piggy can die from this they are very delicate creatures a simple cold turns deadly.and since the they are prey animals they tendd to hide to sicknesses.and when they start to show its basically because they are in grave danger. I would def get him to a vet.mites are painful for them and uncomfortable. They are critters who live about 5-7 years If taken care of good luck

Actually dandruff is really not normal some do shed more than others.I would get checked I have 2 &1 has dandruff and ill be taking him in.its better safe then sorry, mites can be fatal.where usually don't become drastic til its really bad already
Oh that's odd, Phoenix and Godric have always had dandruff since I got them, and so did Fus, when she came from the adoption center. They have no hair loss, or excessive itching.

Oh that's odd, Phoenix and Godric have always had dandruff since I got them, and so did Fus, when she came from the adoption center. They have no hair loss, or excessive itching.

In Guinea pigs dandruff usually means some type of skin issue. Could be diet not enough vitamin c or fresh foods, or living situation not enough humidity or not so clean environment. Or some type of infestation of the skin.of course bathing them too often dries out their skin, they are not to be bathed unless they are heavily soiled, sick and cannot clean themselves or their fur is greasy.

Some breeds of guinea pigs, for instance teddies, seem to have drier skin than others. Pigs can have dry skin, and dandruff, without having parasites.

I usually recommend treating for mites (you don't need to take them to the vet--you can treat yourself following the directions at www.guinealynx.info ) first. If there is no change, then try some extra virgin coconut oil, gently and sparingly rubbed onto the dry patches.

I have noticed that when the air is more dry, some pigs get more itchy. You can try a humidifier if that's the case to see if it helps.

In Guinea pigs dandruff usually means some type of skin issue. Could be diet not enough vitamin c or fresh foods, or living situation not enough humidity or not so clean environment. Or some type of infestation of the skin.of course bathing them too often dries out their skin, they are not to be bathed unless they are heavily soiled, sick and cannot clean themselves or their fur is greasy.
Well the pigs get fresh veggies every day, and vitamin C oxbow tablets since none of them seem to like fruits, their cage gets cleaned each week, I'm not thinking it's an infestation because if it was they have had it for 3 months with no hair loss or signs of excessive itching. I have never bathed them as they have never needed it. I'm thinking it just might be what foggycreekcavy said, as two of them are teddies, and the other one is a mix of Peruvian and short-hair, but I haven't seen any dandruff on her since that first time. I'll try the extra virgin coconut oil thing, and see if that helps, and if not they will all be going to the vet soon anyway, since I am always thinking something is wrong with them. xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.