Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Guinea pig food; most to least important

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
<p>
Hi! I thought about making a guinea pig food pyramid post in my blog to explain new owners what's more important for guinea pigs and get an idea on how to portion food. I thought about asking you guys first to make sure I'm right. Most important to least: -water -hay -veggies -pellets -fruits I'm a little confused with the veggie and pellet part, for me, I give veggies more than pellets because I only have timothy based pellets, thus I give less. But does that also apply to those who have alfalfal based pellets?</p>

You've got the order right.

Veggies are more important than pellets because of the fresh vitamins and the variety in the diet, but pigs can exist without veggies, and some have to because of intestinal problems. Others have trouble with pellets, or live where they can't get good pellets, so they go without those.

If they're fed pellets, they only need 1/8 of a cup per day per pig, unless they're pups or nursing. You don't give fewer pellets because you're feeding veggies -- you give them because of the age and nutritional needs of the pig.

If you like, post your blog write-up here before you put it on your blog, and we'll check it out for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.