Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Guinea pig eye shut

Richard997

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I recently got a new guinea pig and I noticed today that she woke up with an eye almost closed shut and some yellow secretion around, I have read around and I think it might be some injury in her eye (Her other eye is fine). I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do, and what it is, she is eating, and drinking as usual and walks around. I am just new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

WP_20141003_002.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Eye problems are very painful, and it's likely that she's keeping the eye closed because it hurts. You can GENTLY look to see if you can a hay poke, or hay stuck in her eye. But she needs to see a vet for some ophthalmic drops -- unfortunately, you can't buy those over the counter.

The good news is that eyes are the one thing about a guinea pig that any vet can treat -- you don't have to hunt up an exotic vet for this. Eyes are eyes are eyes, no matter what the species. If you can't find an exotic vet, just don't let the vet give her any oral or injected antibiotics. There are many of those that pigs can't take, but an eye ointment should be ok.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would take her to an exotic vet. He probably either has something in his eye or got a scratch. My vet gave me an ointment when Darwynn scratched his eye and it helped him out.

Richard997

Cavy Gazer
Eye problems are very painful, and it's likely that she's keeping the eye closed because it hurts. You can GENTLY look to see if you can a hay poke, or hay stuck in her eye. But she needs to see a vet for some ophthalmic drops -- unfortunately, you can't buy those over the counter.

The good news is that eyes are the one thing about a guinea pig that any vet can treat -- you don't have to hunt up an exotic vet for this. Eyes are eyes are eyes, no matter what the species. If you can't find an exotic vet, just don't let the vet give her any oral or injected antibiotics. There are many of those that pigs can't take, but an eye ointment should be ok.

Should I worry about it? I can't really take her to the vet today, will she be Ok if I take her tomorrow?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I would probably take her to a vet to get it checked out

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Who knows? She'll probably be ok, but she'll be in pain.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Did you get her in to the vet? How is she doing?

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
Same thing happened last week with Fire Ball. Vet I got him from, said to try saline eye drops (contact lens drops). 1-2 drops 3-4 times/day. It cleared up in 2 days. If that didn't work, he was definitely going in to our vet.