Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Guinea Pig Dyed Fur?

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Before I start, I have no plans on dying Twix's fur. I don't even dye my own hair lol.

So I've been looking through Kijiji (like craigslist) at piggies, even though I just got my Twixie. Also kinda keeping my eye on it for extra GP things and such. No plans, but then again I had no plans on getting Twix lol.

Anyways, this new add popped up in my latest search, it's listed a white 6 month old Guinea pig and that it needs to be adopted.

ANYWAYS, the first picture has this piggie with a dyed purple mohawk (and what looks like eyelashes, although I cant tell if those are real or human made markings) I am just wondering if this is safe? Common? Cruel? I'm not really sure how I feel about it

Here's the GP from the ad:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Guinea Pig Dyed Fur?

I don't like it for the simple reason that piggies don't like baths and even if it's the temporary kind it would need to be washed out. Also, piggies have very sensitive respiratory systems and the strong chemicals would surely bother them, if not make them ill. The black around it's eye could be real because my Roger has an eyebrow that is just the way his fur is.

I'd never even think of doing that. They have sensitive skin and why put them through the stress?
I've seen dogs have their hair dyed with kool-aid. even then, I prefer my pet's hair natural.

I've seen a piggie with a kool-aid green mohawk. It's supposed to be safe, although I've never tried it. If it IS safe, I think it's cute lol

I've seen a piggie with a kool-aid green mohawk. It's supposed to be safe, although I've never tried it. If it IS safe, I think it's cute lol
The problem with kool aid is when it's washed out(again piggies hate baths) they might get it in their ears, eyes or mouth and that is just bad for the piggy. Yes it's cute, but piggies really are adorable all on their own:cheerful:!

Yes it's cute, but piggies really are adorable all on their own:cheerful:!

Very true! I think if I had had a white piggie when I was a blue-haired teen instead of a brown one though, I would've been tempted to try this, so we could match lol

Are frequent baths bad for them, or just that most find it unpleasant? My one white pig gets a bum-bath maybe once every week or two, because she tend to get the dreaded yellow-bum :melodrama she doesn't seem to mind though. I think she kind of likes the warm water. Should I be stopping baths for other reasons though?

Sorry for the hijack btw :eye-poppi

My little white piggy, Winifred, LOVES bath time. Not awful fond of the hair dyer, but the warm water, being shampooed... She loves it!

If your piggy enjoys it, which some have been reported to, then I don't see any reason to stop if they are dirty. My vet said that it's a cause of stress for them and to only do it if they are dirty. You do need to avoid getting water in their ears, nose and mouth though and most of the time regular brushing will help. But if the bum is dirty and your piggy can't maintain it, the bum baths are ok.

That doesn't look like Koolaid on that pig -- it looks like that temporary hair coloring stuff my kids use for crazy hair day at school. I definitely wouldn't put that stuff on a pig -- no telling what it's got in it, and the pig will just groom itself and eat some of it.

That's terrible! Who knows what they have been doing to him. :( You need her!:lol:

Yes you should get her! Agree completely ^^^

All I can think of is that girl guinea pig (Juarez or something?) from G-force when I see that... y'know, when they dress her up in princess clothes. ...

:(

I wish I could take her! Believe me, because even with purple fur she looks adorable. I'm just settling in Twix, BUT I sent her link to a friend who might get her...soooo I'm doing my best!

It just worried me when I saw it, she is really young too, 6 months. Poor piggie. Really hoping my friend gets her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.