Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Guinea Pig Dandruff

eShadey024

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I believe my guinea pig, Nutella, has dandruff. She has quite a few white flakes in her fur. More appear when you pet her. I'm 99% sure that it's not mites because the flakes are white and they look almost the exact same as human dandruff, just smaller flakes. She has had these flakes for probably 6 months or so. I looked at her skin and it looks pretty much healthy except there is some flaky patches more down by her butt. The flakes don't seem to bother her at all. I don't think I've ever seen her itch. She sheds a lot, but there is no signs of permanent hair loss or anything. I checked her ears and they also look normal. Do you think this is dandruff? What should I do about this problem?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Guinea Pig Dandruff

Mites cause dry skin... you never will be able to see the mites yourself with the naked eye. This looks like the result of mites, but some pigs do get dry skin. If you have never treated for mites then I would treat now. If you have in the past, and you aren't seeing scratching, then perhaps it is just your pig's skin. I would definitely think mites first, though.

Here's what GL has to say about dandruff:

Note: if your pet is extremely itchy, is shedding more than normal, or has a lot of dandruff, a parasite or fungal infection are the most likely causes.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html under Shampoos for treatment instructions.

Can you treat mites at home, or would a vet need to do it?

You can do it. See www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the links. Just be aware that if you get the horse paste ivermectin, it has to be given orally. The other kinds can just be put on the skin.

If you can't find a local source of ivermectin, try (broken link removed) -- Sef also has the syringes you'll need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.