Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Guinea pig brothers fighting over beds!

• Thread starter ZeusAndThorsMum
  • Start date

ZeusAndThorsMum

Cavy Slave
Hi, my male piggys Zeus and Thor have had their dominance problem in the past, but now they seem to be getting worse after settling down for a bit! They are in a massive 18 square foot cage, with two of absolutely everything. Yet they still feel the urge to kick each other out of their beds and force the other to retreat to the other bed. At the moment I seem to notice this is mainly Thor , the little dominant one doing this mostly... Although Zeus does the most rumbling. They teeth chatter very loudly, impede on each others space until one backs down after what seems like a nip and rushes out. It actually upsets me to see Zeus looking sad running out and retreating, just to be turfed out of the other bed again later. Is there anything I can do? Or is this them going through their teenage years at 11 weeks. Help! :(

It's dominance, and it'll go on for months to come. Try putting another bed in, or a fleece forest. The more hiding places the better, unless they take up too much running room.

My two boys (4mo.) do stuff like this. Mainly during floor time when they have the most room to run around. They activly seek eachother out, chatter, mount, puff up and even jump at eachother recently. Then after ten or fifteen minutes of that they'll be sleeping right next to eachother. I wouldnt worry about it to much unless one ends up really hurt. If they seem to be fighting mainly over the beds try taking them out for a bit and seeing how that effects it. Or add an extra couple of beds and see if they argue less over the beds with more options. Oh last thing, have you tried washing and repositioning the beds?

I have two pairs of guinea pigs (two cages, 2 pigs in each) and I always make sure there are three hidey spots per cage. A lot of other folks use that forumla for number of hidey's too. The number of pigs you have plus one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.