Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig Becoming Aggressive

laceymay

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I have had my little guy for about two months now, his name is Obbie. (I am still in search of a buddy for him but the process has been slow). Obbie has always been shy but when picked up he was never aggressive, just very calm. I have noticed a new behavior that is worrying me a bit. I sat down next to his cage like I normally do and feed him. I noticed he started teeth chattering at me, even though my hand wasnt near the entrance or in the cage. The other day he also nipped me too, not a painful bite but it was very strange. Why did his disposition suddenly turn?Any help would be appreciated.

piglover.nation

Cavy Gazer
Have you seen him scratching more than normal? If so, you might want to try treating him for mites. You can get mange mite creams and shampoos for small animals on Amazon for not too much, around $10. I've heard that mange can make pigs cranky!

laceymay

Cavy Slave
Hi, He has been scratching a bit more than usual, I will defiently treat him for mites. Better safe than sorry! The treatments wont effect them even if they dont have mites correct?

piglover.nation

Cavy Gazer
Correct. Many of them moisturize the skin as well. Just paint their nails and call it a spa day!

laceymay

Cavy Slave

Wheeking Pigs

Cavy Gazer
Usally male Guinea Pigs get a little crazy once they get a little older. I would be careful, though, just to make sure there is nothing else going on. Maybe get a scale and try doing health checks every week or so to make sure he is not losing weight. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, male guinea pigs don't get a little crazy when they get older, unless you're talking about very young pigs just going into puberty. But biting someone isn't even a sign of that. Puberty just means rumblestrutting, mounting, chasing, and being territorial, not biting humans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.