Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig as a food dish (I don't agree)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I understand in other countries the locals eat Cuys (which is the norm), but never thought in a million years restaurants in the US would serve cuys as a dish until I read this article. The demand for cuy meat is also increasing (wow). I am just thankful that there are no cuy farms in the US (at the moment).

I am just baffled to read about this....

https://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2...plates-why-more-people-are-eating-guinea-pigs

I would also like to add....I would never eat a cuy or dine in a restaurant that serves them in the US.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Lol when I read your title, I pictured one pig using the other as a food dish! I was trying to figure out how that worked, and why you didn't agree with it. Ha ha.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
I'm not surprised by this nor does it bother me. Chickens and rabbits and goats are all also raised as pets or kept as livestock/food source even within the US. Certainly a pet and an animal raised for food are different things and I think it's important to recognize that. Unless someone is a vegetarian, it doesn't make much sense to me for them to be against eating just about any mammal.

I have a friend who is Peruvian and when I told her I was getting guinea pigs, she said "You know those are food in Peru, right? And they're delicious." - I did know, and maybe someday I'll try it. I do however believe in eating humanely raised and humanely killed meat. I think scientifically and environmentally, it does make a lot of sense for people to eat guinea pigs.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I don't mind it to be honest.
Animals are food.

We choose to keep them as pets. And I would never personally eat a guinea pig, but I don't judge people who do... no matter where they do.

People in America keep pigs and chickens as pets too. Still eat those often.
I looove beef, and in some other countries cows are sacred.

It's all the same thing really. Eating a guinea pig is really no different than eating a chicken, pig, cow, turkey, duck, whatever. I also don't necessarily think it's wrong if some people want to eat dog or cat either (pigs are INCREDIBLY smart, so you can't say it's not okay to eat a dog because of how intelligent they are, when we eat pig often)/

But I understand not everyone feels this way.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I agree with @AmberCalzone. If you're going to eat one animal, why not another?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
That is why I am a vegetarian :)

I don't judge, but the point i was making was that i was surprised to see cuy dishes in restaurants on US soil.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I don't see why a guinea pig's life would be worth more than any other animal that's raised for food.
Ideally we should all go vegetarian, not just for animals but more importantly for the environments sake, but that's not going to happen.
If you eat meat, I find it extremely hypocritical to judge just because you prefer to keep one specific mammal as a pet & eat another. (Not directed at anyone, just my general opinion.)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I'm a vegetarian, so it's all disturbing to me (eating any animal). But, everyone has to deal with their own ethical choices. I drink milk, and I know I'm supporting the production of veal by doing that. I'm working on going vegan, because I do feel like I'm failing my own ethical beliefs. But, most people have an out of sight, out of mind, mentality. Which is unfortunate, because it contributes to CAFO's being popular, and animal abuse being ignored.

mizzpiggie

Cavy Slave
Personally, I find it interesting that Cuyes can sustain a family as a primary meat source in one country, and yet be an "exotic" delicacy in another. The article does make a good point, though, that relative to cattle Cuyes are easier to sustain and better on the environment.

Can't you just imagine acres of free-range, popcorning guinea pigs? :D

hannahcurl

Cavy Gazer
My heart is broken. I hate to see that.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I would find it kind of.... demented to go out to eat, have a guinea pig for lunch, then go home and cuddle my pet guinea pig.... o_O I don't know... I have never eaten a type of animal that I have kept as a pet... just strange...

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
[emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] that was really graphic. I almost threw up! The poor babies!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
@joys_cavies Isn't it horrible? I don't understand how people can say they would try it =/ I understand that people in other countries eat it, but it just isn't really culturally acceptable here. Kind of like how it isn't culturally acceptable to eat beef in India, even if you aren't Hindu. I just don't get it. I wonder if the people who say they'd eat it would also try dog or cat.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Its like the people that eat dogs, they have their pet dog and the dogs they raise as meat. At one time it was common to eat horse meat here. We do have so many that live off the land here that eat things we wouldn't think of but it keeps their family fed, its very healthy, no chemicals or corn fed meat for them. America is a melting pot now, a blending of cultures. Life is simple, if you don't want to eat it, don't.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Sad to say, but no worse than eating any other animal. Rabbits are pretty commonly eaten in the U.S. too, and dogs and cats are food in other countries. Pigs are smarter than dogs, but we think nothing of keeping them in deplorable factory farm conditions until they're slaughtered so we can have bacon with breakfast. Who's to say a guinea pig is any different? If you eat meat, you're eating something that was once alive and had feelings and didn't want to die, regardless of species.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
@joys_cavies Isn't it horrible? I don't understand how people can say they would try it =/ I understand that people in other countries eat it, but it just isn't really culturally acceptable here. Kind of like how it isn't culturally acceptable to eat beef in India, even if you aren't Hindu. I just don't get it. I wonder if the people who say they'd eat it would also try dog or cat.

That's kind of different. We do not have any groups that consider guinea pigs sacred in the United States. Not eating an animal because it's considered sacred is different than not eating an animal because it's considered a pet.

What we consider "food" is constantly changing, and we have to remember the United States was founded by the British who ate cow, pig, chicken, duck, deer and fish. Beyond these meats very few animals were eaten, unless an emergency (like famine) occurred. For example, during the Lewis and Clark expedition they were starving and it took a lot of convincing before Lewis and Clark allowed their men to kill a horse to eat. Horses were expensive property that had an extensive use beyond food. Most food animals served only the purpose of food. Anyway, had the United States been founded by Peruvians and Ecuadorians then it's likely that guinea pigs would be seen as a food and not a pet.

Dorm.Zoo.Girl

Cavy Gazer
While I would never eat a guinea pig, and probably won't eat another animal ever again (I'm trying to vegetarian for various health and moral reasons), I'm not mad that other people do. Humans are omnivores, and our nature is to eat meat. While we can live without it, it much easier to live with it, whether for health, cultural, or religious purposes.

Americans have a love affair with cow and pig meat. However, many people around the world consider these animals to be sacred (thus uneatable) or unclean (again, thus uneatable). More people still see these animals as pets. People around the world (most notably in Asia) eat cats and dogs. This scenario is the exact opposite; Americans find this habit unthinkable, while other cultures see it as the norm.

If anything, I'm more concerned about how an animal is treated BEFORE being eaten.It's not the fact that people eat cows and pigs that upsets me, its the fact that they are abused and neglected before being eaten. I'm not upset that dogs are being eaten, I'm upset they they are shoved in tiny cages, starved, and beaten beforehand.

If the guinea pigs are being taken care of properly and killed in a humane way, I don't mind it so much. I'll never eat it, nor will I hate it.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
I agree this is no different than eating other animals. And it is a very inexpensive way to do it (think about how quickly gpigs mate and the size of the litters). In our world today we do become separated from our food so it may be difficult to think of a cow or chicken the same way but it is all the same, try observing cows and chickens for a week. They have social groups and emotions and personalities just like any other animal.

Guinea pigs are actually prey animals, so they are naturally meant to be eaten by larger predators. If you are bothered by the ethics of what you are eating because you have a deep love for animals, then maybe you should consider going vegetarian or vegan. As a few others have suggested.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I tried going vegetarian. Turns out I actually need meat to survive. Which sucks. Big time. Like I know a lot of people say that but when I went off meat, my blood pressure dropped really low and I kept fainting so my doctor said I wasn't allowed to go back. I just have to deal with it[emoji20] [emoji24]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.