Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Guinea pig and bladder stone for 4th time..

Morning_shadow

Cavy Slave
Hello,

So my guinea pig Mocha has had 3 bladder stone removals in the past. When he had his 3rd stone removed the vet told me that she cannot do any more surgeries, because it would just not be good for him. Ever since he had the 3rd surgery he hasn't stopped crying.. I thought in the beginning since he is still recovering he must be in pain..But then blood in the pee started coming again. So he has been with this for 2 months. 1 month ago I decided to change his diet and follow the Ca/Ph calculator. This included giving things with higher calcium since it would make it 1.5 -2.0 ratio. I have been using this calculator and even got a food scale, but he doesn't seem to be improving. The past 2.5 weeks I have been giving him Shilintong. Everyday, I give him this along with extra liquid through the syringe. He does not seem to be getting any better.

All he pees is with blood now. I have spoken to my vet and she says to just give him antibiotic and shilintong at same time. So also for the past 2 weeks I have been giving antibiotic.. I believe it is Baytril. She had also given me pain medication, but I only ended up giving it to him for 2 days because when I did give it, he would stop crying but would not eat.

What do you think I am doing wrong..?? I am following the Excel calculator found here https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html I am not sure if I am doing it right though, the ratios I'm giving are the required amount, but then this calculator says to give him higher calcium things like spinach and cilantro to make the ratio higher.

I give him very little KM pellets.. and my vet just doesn't really help... But then there's really nothing else I could give/do?? Other than the blood.. I let him walk around every night all over the house.. He explores and plays with his buddy.. He still eats a lot. I don't know what else I could do for him. Please help.

I don't see how this is going to end up being resolved nicely if he has a stone inside him. It's not just going to magically disappear. She won't even check him again to see if he has another stone?

I've heard some people express not liking that ratio caculator, and forgo it in favor of just lowering overall calcium. Romaine lettuce is something you can try replacing with red/green leaf lettuce. Some pigs don't do well on it. It's a mystery as to why it causes certain pigs to have issues.

Not sure if its necessary for the vet to check if its a stone again, since he does have a history of it, it is very likely that it has come back. I was giving him low calcium for months.. but this didn't give me any results either. So many websites with different ideas on the low calcium thing. I am not sure which to follow. I saw in one that if I lower the calcium, that the body would try to get the calcium from the bones and first it would affect his hindlegs. That's why I figured is not all that good to lower the calcium. I had lowered the calcium for many months, and would still see calcium spots on the cage. So I'm guessing this meant that his body is getting calcium from elsewhere. Not sure what else to do though.. I also did give him Uriflow for some time.. but no good results. These things haven't really helped..

So I have been trying to reduce the stone since surgery is not an option any more.. I really would not like for him to go through another one even if possible. His first stone was in Feb. last year.. and his 3rd surgery in January of this year.

What were you giving him for pain?

Do you have a thread about him at Guinea Lynx?

For pain, after he had surgery, pain medication that the vet gave me. But then he still cried even with it. I don't have a thread of him in guinea lynx. Also the recent pain med she gave me is stronger but he stops eating with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.