Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grrrrrr - Daycare Pig

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I recently found out my son's preschool has a guinea pig, which you just know is going to be bad news for the pig. I usually bring them hay for their rabbit since I have so much and this week I mentioned giving it to the guinea pig and the lady says, "Oh, do they eat hay too?"

Oh my gosh!! The poor pig has had no hay since he arrived there! I properly chastised them and today I hunted him down and there he was in the room in a tiny petstore cage, by himself, with a little bedding tossed in the corner but most of the cage floor completely bare. He had a dish of some weird seed/corn mixture and an apple slice. And he can obviously never have floor time so the small cage is even worse.

He smelled the hay as I walked in the door and started squeeking like crazy and rearing up, putting his paws up on the door until I have him a big pile.

I've emailed them the cavy care guide from GuineaLynx and specifically mentioned that his cage is too small, he needs more bedding, he has the wrong food, he needs a constant supply of hay and he needs a buddy.

I can understand why they would want to have animals for the kids to be around but my gosh, how about some research on how to properly care for the poor thing?

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
=(

That's horrible! There's a woman who lives down the street from me who teaches kindergarden, she has 2 guinea pigs-which are not only the classroom pets, but her pets also. She brings them home on the weekend, and I know she takes really good care of them. We had a yard sale recently and that's how I met her, She bought our old kiddy pool (that we actually used for our dogs!) for them to play in.

I wish all teachers who had pets in their classrooms were as responsible as the one I know.

I hope they listen to the advice you've given them. Good luck! and keep us posted!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
What kind of setup does the rabbit have?

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
That poor pig! Just horrible.... I don't think any classroom should have a guinea pig or rabbit. They will never be able to have floor time or be able to run around. Classrooms just don't have the room for a C&C cage. Most kids don't even know how to hold a pig, especially kids that young. It's a good thing you are trying to educate her properly.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I hope that everything goes well for the poor little guy. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
Are the class rooms in that school alowed to have class pets. I know that at my school, no class pets are allowed. But I dont know if its just a district rule, or just a rule for my high school. Maybe you could look into that kind of a thing if you are worried that the guinea pig will not be treated corectly.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
They are allowed in most cases, but that is an excellent idea!

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
What kind of setup does the rabbit have?
To answer several questions. It's a private school so I don't think any of the district rules apply. All the classrooms have some kind of pet but usually it's a frog, turtle, fish or some sort of small animals. The GP is the smallest classroom animal.

The rabbit lives in a large hutch in an outdoor courtyard. It doesn't look too ideal to me as he doesn't seem to have a lot of visitors. However, he goes home every weekend. On hot days they put him in his travel cage (standard 1'x2' cage from pet store) in the lobby of the school. Both cages are wire bottomed (OK for rabbits???). He gets hay and what looks like proper rabbit food.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
To answer several questions. It's a private school so I don't think any of the district rules apply. All the classrooms have some kind of pet but usually it's a frog, turtle, fish or some sort of small animals. The GP is the smallest classroom animal.

The rabbit lives in a large hutch in an outdoor courtyard. It doesn't look too ideal to me as he doesn't seem to have a lot of visitors. However, he goes home every weekend. On hot days they put him in his travel cage (standard 1'x2' cage from pet store) in the lobby of the school. Both cages are wire bottomed (OK for rabbits???). He gets hay and what looks like proper rabbit food.
No wire bottoms are not ok for rabbits, they get sore hocks. Hope the poor little piggy gets a new cage and stuff and the bunny also. Thats too bad they don't take care of the piggy and bunny better.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
The GP is the smallest classroom animal.
Huh??? What did you mean? He cant be the smallest, since there are fish, you said. Do you mean that he has the smallest living space?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:

Wire floors are HORRIBLE for rabbits, as well as living outside. Please check his feet as he may need to see a vet. Also, Please cover some of the floor up with wood boards, tile, or mats. Outdoor rabbits live sad, lonely, pitiful, and short lives. The average lifespan of an outdoor rabbit is 2 years while properly cared for indoor rabbits can easily live for 8-12 years.

Rabbits NEED to be spayed/neutered. Fixed rabbits are healthier, happier, and have less behavior problems. Unspayed femals have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer.

Rabbits NEED at least 3 hours of exercise daily, toys, and lots of attention and affection. Rabbits are highly intelligent animals and are related (rather closely) to primates.

Urge these people to bring the rabbit inside and to set up an area where he can get tons of exercise and attention.

You can print off some material from https://www.rabbit.org, especially the articles on housing, exercise, toys, spay/neuter, outdoor hazards, and classroom rabbits. Some of the toys that are listed on the site are free and easy to obtain, so maybe you could bring in some rabbit toys.

Who does the rabbit go home with?

These people are setting a very bad example for all the children. Please educate them, if they don't listen at first, just keep bugging them. Good Luck! I hope the rabbit's and guinea pig's lives improve.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
Huh??? What did you mean? He cant be the smallest, since there are fish, you said. Do you mean that he has the smallest living space?
Ha Ha! I meant "real" animal as in furry, cuddly and interactive. I kind of consider the fish, frogs etc. as decorative and not "real" pets.

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
My biology had 2 guinea pigs in a 6 square feet cage. I simply asked him to find a new home for it or take care of it better and i gave him this website. The next day he asked me if I wanted the guinea pig, and luckily i was already in pursuit to find a new buddy for my baby gp. They get along great, and the best part is i didnt have to pay anything, and I was still rescueing a pig.

TinaFabulous

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Petunia, my black and white Abby, came from my son's 5th grade classroom. We agreed to take her for the summer. When school began, I asked the teacher if we could keep her (I offered to buy her) and she agreed. Petunia is now in a much larger cage, has two buddies and is being fed what she needs, not just pellets and sometimes a carrot. The teacher meant well but just didn't read the newest available information on taking care of a pigger. She was also relieved to not have to deal with finding someone to take Petunia each week and over holidays. When I am in the school, I always stop by and let her know how Petunia is doing.

You can always ask the daycare if you can purchase the pig, after explaining the needs of him. You may be surprised, they may be receptive to either improving the conditions or letting you take him/her.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
CavyCatastrophe said:
My biology had 2 guinea pigs in a 6 square feet cage. I simply asked him to find a new home for it or take care of it better and i gave him this website. The next day he asked me if I wanted the guinea pig, and luckily i was already in pursuit to find a new buddy for my baby gp. They get along great, and the best part is i didnt have to pay anything, and I was still rescueing a pig.
What happened to the other pig?!!! You said there were two!

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
another student took the other one.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
Licia, thanks for clearing it up. gosh, was i confused!

TinaFabulous
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.