Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Growing my own grass indoors

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I've read all about how fresh foraged grass is good for guinea pigs, but I live in an apartment, and the small bit of grass we do have is covered in dog crap and chemical treatments. I'm considering growing a small patch of grass in my apartment. We do have a sizeable balcony and a large balcony door, so I could grow it either out on the balcony itself, or indoors in view of the window.

Ideally, I would like to grow it until it's nice and thick and healthy, and then introduce the pigs to it, probably on the floor at first, then maybe in their cage. Obviously I'm not talking about a huge patch of grass here; maybe a planting dish of a couple square feet.

So, what are some good types of grass that are 1) good for guinea pigs, and 2) capable of growing indoors, or on a balcony?

Growing wheatgrass is pretty easy indoors. A lot of my fellow urban seattlites do it. You just have to make sure the seeds are not packed together super close, as mold will develop. All the wheatgrass I find in stores does this.

It also grows pretty quickly.

i found a great idea in the "hot tips" forum about growing grass indoors. i tried it myself and i've successfully grown 4 mini pots/saucers of grass which my pigs LOVE as a snack!! so, yes it is possible, and relatively easy. i don't want to take credit from the original poster, so if you can't find the tip, let me know and i'll post what i remember.

My piggies adore wheatgrass. I grow it in a small wooden clementine crate, and let them eat it right out of there. You can also grow it hydroponically.

Just plant some wheat berries and put them somewhere sunny when they sprout. They grow really fast, faster than yard grass seed. They don't seem to grow back as well if the pigs cut them too short, like shorter than an inch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.