Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Growing Lawn Grass

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Don't know if it should be placed here, but I just wanted to let you guys know that you can grow your own lawn grass seed... in cotton balls:)

Anyway, first you need a pot. I use the pot circles that go on the bottom of pots. They're plastic, clear, and lightweight so no problem for me carrying it.

Right, I just checked the name. It's clear pot saucers? Don't know if it still makes sense - hope it does!

Get some cotton balls and spread them out. I like a thin layer so that the lawn grass seeds can get through the cotton easily when they form roots. And of course, you need lawn grass seeds! I buy the one from the brand American Seed which is 6 oz. of lawn grass seed. According to the box, here are the variety/kind and purity levels of the seed:

Variety/Kind: Gulf Annual Ryegrass; Purity 92.75%
Program Perennial Ryegrass; Purity 5.95%
Other Crop Seed 0.10%
Inert Matter 1.00%
Weed Seed 0.20%
Noxious Weed Seeds: None Found (so 0% :) )

I just rechecked to make sure that ryegrass is safe for guinea pigs. Phew* Thank god it was. I'm guessing that ryegrass is normal lawn grass? Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone - PLEASE.

Anyway, that's the box of seeds that I bought (you can usually find it at Dollar Tree or Deal$ or any dollar stores for $1). I also use cotton balls to replace the soil because I find that when the lawn grass is long enough, I can just lift up the cotton base and set it in my piggie's cage so that he can eat it. Once he trims it down to a nice length, I put it back in the clear saucer and go about continuing to grow it. The good thing about using cotton in replacement of soil, I've found is that the soil doesn't mold from too much moisture. So you don't have to chuck the whole plant out if it starts molding. I don't know if it really prevents the molding though - I've just never found a problem with adding a bit more water to the cotton base and having it mold - it never molded for me=) And I've also grown wheatgrass in it too. It comes out beautifully but I forgot about it and left it at home for about 2 weeks so when I came back, the cotton was dry and my wheatgrass had all shriveled up into brown straws:(

So yep, for growing lawn grass you need:
1) Lawn Grass Seed (mine is called Lawn Seed: Speedy Green - and boy, is it speedy!)
2) Clear flowerpot saucer
3) Cotton balls (about 4-5 is enough if you spread it out evenly enough in the saucer
4) And water!

Spread the cotton balls out so that it's flat, not ballish-shaped. Then put them in the saucer. Put some water in it to wet the cotton. The water level can be a little higher than the cotton base. Then spread the lawn grass seeds all around. Cover with plastic wrap or another clear saucer if you have one to germinate. You can uncover it in about a couple of days when you start to see white fuzz on the seeds - make sure the fuzz isn't from the cotton!

Keep on adding water to the cotton as since it's a soil-less base, it does take up a bit of water but I've found that it also retains moisture well if there is a nice amount of cotton base. I only have a very thin cotton base so I need to add a bit of water to it everyday.

In a week or so, it will go pretty long. By then, you can take the cotton base out of the saucer and into your piggie's cage. If he/she eats the grass down to the seeds but doesn't eat the whole seed, just plop the cotton base back into the saucer and keep on growing!

Hope this helped you guys for those that want to do an interesting experiment with grass seed and don't have a grassy lawn for them to munch on (or you do have a lawn but it's being treated with pesticides, etc.)!

This also works pretty well with wheatgrass. =)

P.S. - I've been trying to grow lettuce in cotton base as well... It's already germinated but I don't know if it'll die off before it ever grows into a small plant. I'll keep you guys updated.

Here are some pictures to go along with the whole process:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Growing Lawn Grass

And that's it. In about a week's time (or 2 weeks if you would like a taller yield), you will have grass for your piggies to munch on right in the comfort of their own cage! The best thing about all of this is that you don't have to worry about them getting their noses dirty going through all that soil in the grass. :D

Sounds a good idea. The only thing I worry about is the cotton and what would happen if a guinea pig ate it?

If I can get past that hurdle then I'll definitely be using this idea!

Sounds a good idea. The only thing I worry about is the cotton and what would happen if a guinea pig ate it?

If I can get past that hurdle then I'll definitely be using this idea!

I would think that if you stretched the cotton out enough and spread the lawn grass seeds evenly enough as well, that as the roots grew, the cotton base should get thinner and thinner, therefore making it hard for the piggies to really get at the cotton. That is only the case in my experience but I feel that (looking upon my own pot of grass growing right now very carefully) unless the piggies went from the side of the plant and ate from the bottom up, they can't really get to the cotton. I don't know if that's understandable so I guess I'll put it in more easier terms? I'm horrible at explaining...=X

When you put the lawn grass seeds on the cotton, you should spread them out evenly enough so that it should cover almost every inch of cotton. As the grass grows, the roots grow more and more. I discovered that the roots would overcrowd on the bottom and that in turn would cause the cotton base itself to thin out gradually. But I've never had a pig (I only have one pig - adopting next month - and my friend has another pig whom I do most of the caretaking of because she's so "busy," almost too busy for him) who would actually eat the cotton. My friend's pig LOVES grass (as does mine but he prefers handfeeding than eating from the pot). I remember when I first planted lawn grass in a regular pot using regular soil - the grass grew nicely, sure, but when we tried offering some to my friend's pig, he literally jumped headfirst into the pot. After we pulled him out - he's a feisty little bugger! - his nose was covered in dirt and his mouth had remnants of dirt around it. We figured that when he was eating the grass, he pulled the roots out too and ended up ingesting the soil/dirt with it.

But when I left the circular pot of grass (the one in the picture above but with longer grass) in his cage, I came back later and the cotton base was still there - he'd just eaten the grass almost down to the roots which I find that I was able to plop back into the saucer and continue planting.

However, I don't know if your piggies like to eat and chew everything but I would say that it's really hard for them to get at the cotton UNLESS they finished eating ALL the grass first and then decided to go for eating the whole thing. Then of course that will be a problem. But like I said before, I don't know the personality of your piggies.

Sorry if you don't understand what I was trying to get across before - I can be a bit whooo* in my explaining sometimes.

Here if you can see it, the roots are growing to almost overcrowd and therefore, that makes the cotton base start to thin out and spread even more out than it has already.

And if you look at it from the top, the only way the piggies CAN get at it is 1: they either start from the side at the bottom or 2: they eat all the lawn grass and continue to eat the whole thing. But I honestly don't know what piggie will do that... Hope this helps=]

I love this and am tottaly going to frow my piggiees a bunch of grass. lol I'm a bit confused though... When the grass is grown and ready to be eaten, do you just just place your little pot right in the cage or do you actually pull the grass (with its cotton base) stright out of the pot and give that to the piggies? If so dose it come out easyly and cleanly?

I would pull the whole thing out of the saucer just because if the piggies get a little feisty, they might end up tipping the whole thing over. I take it out of the saucer gently from the side and it usually comes out with great ease so there shouldn't be any problem at all. I mean, it's not like you're yanking it out with mighty force lol.

lol. True true! I just bought some little containers that I planted a couple of hours ago. I am hoping they germinate and grow well as the containers are not as shallow and the seeds look alot smaller than yours. Wish me luck!

This looks like a fun project for the kids and I to do together! Thank you for sharing your idea and wonderful pictures.

Hi is are the grass seeds, the grass that doesn't require sun?

Hi is are the grass seeds, the grass that doesn't require sun?

I'm not sure what you mean by that... To me, it's just regular lawn grass seed as far as I can tell. I guess they don't NEED the sun if you have some kind of growth light indoors but just putting them on a windowsill where they can at least get some indirect sunlight during the day - even if it's rainy, as it certainly is here this time of year - really helps the growth process a lot. :eek:ptimist:

And to MissSofi: Good luck! It's really fun to grow them but I think the funnest part about growing them is that you get to watch your piggies get so happy just chowing down on the grass - but without the mess for us owners to clean up afterward. So everyone is a happy camper:cool:

My grass isn't sprouting :( Oh the Tragedy of it all! adorable pink little planters and no signs of life to fill them. I think I need just a BIT more luck.

My grass isn't sprouting :( Oh the Tragedy of it all! adorable pink little planters and no signs of life to fill them. I think I need just a BIT more luck.

Aww, that really sucks. Well, first of all did you put some kind of cover on it and allow it to germinate? You need to spread the seeds, add a bit of water, and then cover it so that a warm atmosphere can make it germinate faster. Of course, you should keep it adequately watered from time to time until it's germinated. I find that a spray bottle of water does the trick to keep the cotton moist until it germinates. If you don't have a cover on it to make it germinate, depending on what kind of seeds you have, it usually takes awhile for it to germinate. I didn't cover one of my planters with a cover because I ran out - was busy covering some other planter:rolleyes: - and it took about 1-1.5 weeks for it to germinate. But once it did, the grass started growing quickly. If you don't have another cover to put on it, just put saran-wrap (aka plastic wrap) over it so that a dome surface will be created. But you might need to remove the saran wrap from time to time to keep the cotton evenly moist. Once it's germinated, you should take the cover off and let it continue growing, keeping it moist daily of course but not overfilling it. Although with cotton substituting for soil, I never really encountered a molding problemlol

Hope that helps. =) (It would really help me to figure out the problem if you can post a picture so that I can see what went wrong)

Thank you so much, they are moist and covered with seran wrap. I am worried that they may be too cold to germinate because we have draughty windows and my little "grasses" are right on the ledge. But we have very little light in the apartment and I feel thats the only place they will get enough light. If it is too cold for them now will they eventually germinate when it gets warmer?

The spray bottle is a great idea. :) I'll try to post a picture.

Okay, this is a bad picture because it is night time and there is a lot of glare in the window and in one of the seran wrap covers. But hopefully, if you look at it for a moment you may get the idea, if not just let me know and I'll take others tomorrow.

(broken link removed)

I can't really tell from the pictures... But are you using soil? Like I said, I can't really tell plus I have horrifying vision:( There's really no telling what might've happened. If the saran-wrap hadn't been on before, it would take longer for the seeds to germinate. But if you had it on all along, then it could've germinated - not all of the seeds of course, but a couple at a time would sprout. Then the others would usually follow suit.

You can try switching to a growth light if your windows get too drafty but that shouldn't be much of a problem, at least from my experience. My windows back home were always drafty and my room was downright freezing in the middle of spring

Just a note on this: After the second or third trimming you'll want to start over with new seed, or add a small amount of compost/soil underneath the cotton/rootbed, otherwise the grass will have a hard time growing back and if it does it will be almost totally devoid of nutrients.

But I honestly don't know what piggie will do that... Hope this helps=]

My piggies.

Once I gave my piggies a bucket of grass I grew, Let's just say... My white piggies mouth, was BROWN!! With dirt. They ate the dirt.

:)

Aww, that's adorable but very bad, like I said. But no, I was talking about the piggies eating the cotton base, not the soil. I know that they tend to eat the soil when they eat the grass because they pull it out by the roots (this happened with my friend's piggies) but I meant to say that I honestly don't know of any piggies who would eat the grass and then go straight for the cotton base.=]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.