Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow your own veg?

katie84

Cavy Slave
I was wondering, do any of you grow your own veg/fruits for your GP's?
I was thinking of doing this also for the benefit of starting a healthy eating routine for myself too.

Do you use fertilisers on your growing food, or will this be poisonous to the GP's?

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
On this same note, do any of you folks grow your own grass? If so, how do you go about it?

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
I think that using fertilisers would be a bad idea because I would guess that they are harmful to guinea pigs, but i don't know for a fact.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You could use your own pigs poo as a fertilizer. There have been a few people on the forum that grow veggie gardens not only for themselves but for their pigs too.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
I grow lettuce for my pigs (1st year so I just wanted to see what it would be like. Thinking of growing more next year) and I didn't add any fertilisers, grew it organic style. It all turned out ok. I also feed my pigs any of the veggies my family dosnt want from the garden, they were also organic. It's just nice knowing that the worst thing you, and your pigs, could be eating with the veggies is some dirt or a small bug:yuck: If your thinking of doing this for yourself as well, organic is better!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sometimes I buy lettuce and carrots from a neighbor who grows/sells them and my pigs seem to like them more than walmarts, I also love their strawberrys :D yum

Granma piggy

Cavy Slave
My daughter grows her own veg. and the Girls love them, especially Parsley, celery, capsicum.( as a treat) She uses no chemicals, but uses the bedding from their out door home, which she digs into the garden, and Sugar cane mulch.
They are very healthy and happy.
I also have a veggie patch as I get my boys :love: in two weeks.
Her Prinscess had 2 boys and a girl, so I am having the lads.

moonfire

Cavy Slave
My piggie has been enjoying lettuce, green beans (these grow like crazy!), parsley, and zucchini from our family garden. I'm even thinking of planting some kind of mini-garden for the winter (if that would work) so she could get some fresh food, even in January!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My piggies like the parsely I grow in my garden and the marigolds. My piano teacher gives us a few home grown tomatoes every week and my girls love them.When we move I'm going to start a flower and herb garden and maybe try my hand at some easy veggies. Right now in my garden we are using potting soil.It's not toxic to piggies as far as I know. But the parsely they eat was grown in regular dirt from under our walnut tree then put in the potting soil.Walnuts make wonderful potting soil after they've been composted naturally.

katie84

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your advice, its nice to know that everyone does there bit of veging too. Just as a tester I am trying to grow some cress at the moment just for my family to eat, but to see if I am doing it ok, my father is helping me too.

Its funny really, when I was young I use to think it was boring when my dad grew vege and doing gardening etc, and now I find myself looking into gardening things.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My daughter grows her own veg. and the Girls love them, especially Parsley, celery, capsicum.( as a treat)
Not sure which one you were referring to as a treat, but capsicum (bell pepper) can be fed on a daily basis. It's a great daily staple and is great for Vitamin C content. The other two you mentioned are more of a couple times per week treat type veggies.

Granma piggy

Cavy Slave
I was told by local Pet shop that you should not feed too much Capsicum.
I have just printed off the 'Safe fruit and Veg' listed, so I will be adding to the vegi patch, Thank you for all the information and Ideas,
I will be building the Lads house tomorrow as I now have all the bits, just have to put together, will post piccy when done.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Yet another example of a pet store employee knowing bugger all.

For my pigs I've grown Lettuce, Capsicum, Coriander (easy stuff to grow in a pot), all with varying amounts of success. Capsicum was good, but we have some sort of bug that loves them that appears to be resistant to all known types of pesticide...even tried all the natural things, now we think it might be birds, ah well. Lettuce is easy to grow, but since it's winter here it's not doing so well...pulled them out yesterday and chucked them in the compost heap in fact.

Granma piggy

Cavy Slave
Now that I know where to come for advice, if I have any questions, that is when I have more questions, this is where I will be asking for help.

I have all my veg either in pots or under netting, Possums love fresh veg seedlings.

katie84

Cavy Slave
I will have a practice at growing some lettuce, can you do this in a pot? How many seeds would you add per pot? As lettuce is in a GP's diet alot, I think they will benefit from this. Thanks again for all your advice.

Granma piggy

Cavy Slave
lettuce grow really well in pots, I have them in hanging baskets, the big ones with the matting, 5 fit well. The same with silverbeet and herbs.

Ledasmom

Cavy Slave
I would use the same guidelines for lettuce in a pot as lettuce in the ground - space it according to the package directions. Of course, the great thing about lettuce is that if it's growing too thickly, you can eat the thinnings - not that lettuce thinnings will go very far with hungry guinea pigs, but I bet they'd love them.

Granma piggy

Cavy Slave
I also have the cherry tomatoes in baskets, with beans and sugar peas, they look good and are tasty

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
I grow small bits of veggies. I don't have a garden so I have pots on my balcony, and I have some herbs, catnip, and I started out with green bell peppers and tomatoes. The tomatoes are doing well, but my first pepper is starting to sprout and its Aug already. Next year I'm getting several more pots and spreading them out some, and trying some other veggies too. I don't use any fertilizers. I don't trust them. I just water regularly if there's no rain.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Plain natural fertilizers are perfectly safe and if you use the same growing spot year after year you really need to add some fertilizer every year. You can often find sterile composted cow manure for about $1/30lb bag in the spring at some feed and farm supply stores. I use hundreds of pounds of this stuff every year for the garden, planters, and to mix with potting soil. Any other store that has a garden center will often sell compost for a few dollars a bag but it's seasonal so stock up in the spring. Peat moss can be helpful in areas with alkaline or clay soil and is very easy to find. You can also setup a compost bin for leaves, grass clippings, and any food materials you throw out aside from meat. Guinea pig waste and bedding can also be composted but shavings will take longer to break down.

Do not use cat, dog, or ferret waste and do not use chemical fertilizers. Even miracle grow. That stuff is crap. It may help plants grow temporarily but actually strips some of the nutrients out of the soil making your next crop continually worse. Eventually you either end up with a barren patch of yard or a pot of soil that won't grow anything. Stick with natural soil amendments even for potted plants and you'll have much better luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.