Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Grooming?

Thor and Moon

Cavy Slave
Hi! So today my question is about grooming. How often should I groom my guinea pigs? They are short haired and not tame so I'm not sure how that would work... They wont even let me pick them up. So basically how do I groom, how often should I groom and what should I use? Also how often should I bathe them and what should I use as far as shampoo and would I use a washclothe? Thanks

Please don't start a new thread for every one of your questions. Try to keep most of your questions confined to one thread so people can keep track.

Be aware that this Forum has a good search engine which is the box on the upper right by the red eye glass. This Forum is more than ten years old and one can find the answer to almost any question by going back into the archives. Those of us who are veterans here and are knowledgeable about cavy care never mind answering well thought-out questions, but in the process we often get weary of the same questions over and over. Do your homework and you will learn a lot in the process. When I first joined the Forum, I literally spent two days going back in the archives, doing research, and catching up on recent and current discussions.

I have an ebook about cavy care that you might find helpful. I believe that it may be copyrighted so I can't post it here. If you PM me with an email addy, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Yes, you can certainly find an answer to most questions in the archives! I always take a quick look before posting :)
Short hairs really don't need to be brushed unless they're shedding a lot or obviously have stuff stuck in their fur. Baby brushes are good. Baths are also very rarely needed and should not be done often. They're only necessary if they're actually dirty ( think dirty bums/greasy fur/etc. )
Nail trimming is very important, and it's best to trim every four weeks or so. Do lots of research--- you can look up how here, wikiHow, and other guinea pig sites. The key for me is feeding them a favorite veggie while trimming and only doing a couple nails everyday. A pair of small normal human nail clippers work best. I taught my piggies to stand up on the side of their cage with their front feet for treats, and trim a nail or two while they're doing so---it makes it really easy. Get them used to you handling their feet, nails, and seeing the clipper first, and when you're both ready just take it slow and careful :)
Working on getting them tamer and more used to you will make everything easier. Don't be discouraged, Again, slow and steady wins the race! Talk to them, hand feed them treats, try a few chin scratches and nose pets. Guinea pigs are nervous with being pet where they can't see you, much like horses. You can find all sorts of bonding tips everywhere as well :)
This is a great guinea pig website ( besides here ) that's very readable, very fun, and will tell you nearly everything you need to know: www.guineapigmanual.com

Best of luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.