Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Green Apple?

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
I like to change up my pigs' diet, and I was wondering if they could eat a small piece of a green apple. I thought it might be too sour, but I wasn't sure.

It's fine. Mine like it very well.

I live in an apartment building with a researcher who 'uses' guinea pigs :(
However she told me that apples are really high in vitamin C and should be feed a little everyday.

I'm sorry, but researchers are usually using guinea pigs for a specific purpose, and then they're dumped on a rescue or killed. They're not in it for the long life of a pig, and many have no idea how the diets they feed will affect a pig after a few years.

Apples do have vitamin C, but they've got too much sugar to be a staple of the pig's diet. Too much sugar upsets the balance of the GI tract, and can lead to bloating, diarrhea, or diabetes.

It's far better to get the vitamin C from green bell peppers, which are equally high in vitamin C but without the added sugar.

Yep, this is the first time I've fed them a green one, I fed a small piece as a treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.