Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Great news!!!! I saved my piggy! :)

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
My piggy goofball has an upper respiritory problem, I bought him from petco along with his roomate henry 15 days ago when you buy from petco you get a 15 day vet care garuntee so on the 8th day of owning them i notice one was coughing a few times that day then the next day i heard it about 10 total times then i said ok i better call petco and bring them in so they can take care of it. They said I wouldnt get them back for the maximum 3weeks so i just got a call saying that they have an upper respiritory problem and its in the VERY early stage so thank god I did something about it they are giving antibiotics and they said if all goes well i can pick them up on wednesday :) im so happy i miss my boys

I hope it works out that you can get your boys back on Wednesday -- I'm sure you'll be popcorning right along with them when you see each other!:)

thank you, i really MISS them!!! I cleaned their cage completly and i will make a run to petsmart and get something for them too come home too :)

How come you have to leave them there? can't you give the meds at home?

How come you have to leave them there? can't you give the meds at home?
In order for them to take care of the vet bills etc, i had to do a return on the pigs and they gave me a giftcard with 60$ on it and they need to do this so its in their hands and not mine. when its all done i go in and give them my giftcard and get my pigs back

I am so happy that you were aware enough to catch the URI early and seek help quickly for your boys. When you took them back to the store, did they tell you that you could go whenever you wanted, to visit them? If not, I urge you to please do this, everyday they are not at home with you. My hope in telling you this is so that you do not have to feel the nearly unbearable pain that my family has had to endure this week, and even more importantly, that your boys don't suffer the same pain, neglect, and ultimately, death that my precious Lucy did, just two days ago,in an almost identical situation... I am working on writing it up to post in full, so others might be spared...

Please post with updates and let us know how they are doing, I will be waiting and worrying with you.

I am so happy that you were aware enough to catch the URI early and seek help quickly for your boys. When you took them back to the store, did they tell you that you could go whenever you wanted, to visit them? If not, I urge you to please do this, everyday they are not at home with you. My hope in telling you this is so that you do not have to feel the nearly unbearable pain that my family has had to endure this week, and even more importantly, that your boys don't suffer the same pain, neglect, and ultimately, death that my precious Lucy did, just two days ago,in an almost identical situation... I am working on writing it up to post in full, so others might be spared...

Please post with updates and let us know how they are doing, I will be waiting and worrying with you.

They said nothing at all about visiting, They didnt do it in the petco store they sent the pigs to the vet i had no info on who it was or where

I would call and ask if they were being kept at the vet for the duration of treatment, or if they are taken to the vet, diagnosed, given immediate treatment, and them sent back to the store with meds, where they then stay in a back room somewhere, and the employes take care of any treatments the dr prescribed. I can't imagine that they would stay at the vets office for the duration required before they will let you buy them again. That would be very expensive for Petco to absorb costs like that. Nor do you babies have the continuity of care that it may seem. Our horror story wasn't from Petco, but Petsmart, and what I just described to you is exactally what happens there only worse, and it cost Lucy's innocent life, and my heart. I pray Petco handles these things differently, but they are both large chain stores, and I logically can see how the business can handle the costs of leaving their animals at a vet for the duration of treatment.

I would call and ask if they were being kept at the vet for the duration of treatment, or if they are taken to the vet, diagnosed, given immediate treatment, and them sent back to the store with meds, where they then stay in a back room somewhere, and the employes take care of any treatments the dr prescribed. I can't imagine that they would stay at the vets office for the duration required before they will let you buy them again. That would be very expensive for Petco to absorb costs like that. Nor do you babies have the continuity of care that it may seem. Our horror story wasn't from Petco, but Petsmart, and what I just described to you is exactally what happens there only worse, and it cost Lucy's innocent life, and my heart. I pray Petco handles these things differently, but they are both large chain stores, and I logically can see how the business can handle the costs of leaving their animals at a vet for the duration of treatment.

I cant thank you enought tomorrow I will call and find out where they are and I will bring them both a nice salad and be reunited for a period of time :)

Good luck! I will be thinking about you all. If you don't mind, let me know how it goes.

Btw. One good thing came of this weeks experience. When I became aware of Lucy's condition, and what was allowed to happen, I spoke with a store manager and insisted I was going to buy her back, knowing she was ill. I wasn't sure if she would make it, but I had to try. I just needed to get her to my local small pet vet at 7am thursday morning. We stayed up almost all night caring for her and hand feeding her.it was very apparent she knew exactally where she was as her whole body relaxed a bit as soon as I got out her blanket ANC settled into the chair. I slept less than 2 hours. We spent most of our time snuggling and rocking while she slept in my arms. A mere two hours before the vet opened, she passed. At home, where I know she felt safe and very loved.

Thats so sad I am so sorry for your loss ah... :sorry:

what questions should i ask when i actually go to petco to see them?

One thing I NEED to know is if they are receiving the anitbiotics via water bottle I am going to be way mad if that is the case...

What else should I ask?

I would ask what the vet said and what treatment he ordered. Its a very reasonable question since you plan to get them back. Also, just by showing up to check on them, shows how much you care for them and that u truly intend to take them home with you after all is said and done.

You never know if doing that might get someone to pay more attention to the needs of your boys (especially if being care for in the back room of the store). When I did this, it was the key to being offered to visit with her during her stay, anytime I wanted. They saw her as my pet and not just a store return.

I guarantee no one wanted to be the one to have to make a call and tell me bad news! If they don't offer, I would simply ask to see them,if they are being housed at the store. I wouldn't imagine they would let you in the back, but Petsmart, brought her cage (I use that term very loosely as it was more like a Tupperware container!) out to me each time, and I was allowed to cuddle her for as long as I wanted... Beyond that, just ask questions a out anything that might seem important. I asked how much she was eating, drinking ,or bathrooming. I did this not because I really had expectation that they would know a specific answer, but because the answer gave me a very quick and easy way to assess how much care and attention she was actually getting.

I saw her every day but one, and on that day I called to chec on her. E drone was always so nice and it really built my confidence that she was getting great care and would come home in another week or so...( she was being treated for a very minor fungal infection around her eye... Beyond that, she was just fine!

The day after I called to check on her I went to visit and it was already to late to realistically save her. She could barely walk, barely made a sound, had obviousely lost a good bit of weight, ( she weighed only 11.3 oz the day she passed! That what a 3-4 week old weighs roughly! She must have not eaten for a couple of days, but I was told every time she was eating and drinking well! There is no doubt in my mind, that she picked up this infection there, and very quickly...use your instincts. They seem good so far! And use the love you have for them to "work the system" so you can keep as close an eye on progress as you can get away with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.