Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Grease gland...?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
So I noticed Lightning's grease gland is actively producing, well grease! I'm curious if this NEEDS to be cleaned or if it can wait a few days until I can find shampoo or coconut oil...

Also - do I squeeze it like it's a zit? Or just clean what's already on his skin and leave the rest alone? Or ...?

Any other advise for cleaning it out? I could hardly get him to hold still so I could look at it, let alone clean it in any way, shape, or form! Thanks!

*Admins: sorry if this doesn't belong in the medical thread*

Just soap it up with a mild shampoo, and rinse it off. Don't squeeze it.

If it's really gunked up, use Dawn Dish Detergent -- it's mild and won't hurt his skin, and will cut the grease. Just be sure to get it all off.

I use sulfate free scent free hypoallergenic baby shampoo and he seems to be okay. My boar has an overactive grease gland so his needs to be washed ever other week at the least, otherwise it gets super sticky and stinky and really dark and gross.

I'll try giving him a "bath" with dawn dish detergent in his "bath tub" (shallow tupperware container) tomorrow. And I'll be sure not to squeeze it! Thanks for the help!

make sure that you only use dawn on the gland, not on his skin. Also, have you been cleaning his sac and checking his penis? you might want to look into that too.

make sure that you only use dawn on the gland, not on his skin. Also, have you been cleaning his sac and checking his penis? you might want to look into that too.

I cleaned his gland, and after drying him off I checked into cleaning his penis and his anal sac... Lightning was NOT fond of this!! When I checked his penis it was normal and clean (wow that thing comes REALLY far out! :eye-poppi I was sure to pull it all the way out to make sure I wasn't missing something at the base) I couldn't really separate his anal sac because Lightning was so panicked at this point but I used a Q-tip to try to clean down in there a little bit. He's a pooping machine so I know he's not impacted, there wasn't any hair or anything that I could see in there.... My poor little boy feels so violated now - I can see it written all over his face "what the heck mom?!"

some treats generally take care of that "violated" feeling - that and leaving him be for a little while

some treats generally take care of that "violated" feeling - that and leaving him be for a little while

I ran out of carrots and haven't had time to run to the store so he had a slice of pepper for a treat and I'm leaving him alone until dinner time unless he starts wheeking for hay. I changed his cage right after cleaning him so at least he has a clean cage to lounge around in while he's sulking!! :p

Aw that's so cute ! Mine does that too. His eyes get REALLY big and he does not like being flipped over. I felt bad, but after a nice bright orange carrot it was like the whole thing had never happened. I have not been able to extrude my pigs penis ! it's frustraiting me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.