Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Grease gland and genital

ricanxay

Cavy Slave
hi everyone,

well i have a boy guinea pig. Lately i have been looking at proper grooming for him. I noticed that everyone clean what is called a grease gland, but i also have seen videos, with no explanation, cleaning their sacs with a cutip.

What is the purpose of both?
How often should i do it?

you can read here:https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html
Basically, hay, bedding, lint, whatever gets stuck in the perineal sac, and should be cleaned out to prevent irritation. How frequently you check depends on the pig-age, bedding, etc. The grease gland can get crusty, so it would need to be cleaned, too. Everything is in the link.

You also should get the penis to protrude and clean any smegma/stuff off it. I found some hair in one of my boars yesterday!

The grease gland can be annoying to clean. I recommend getting some coconut oil, working it into the spot, and then washing it all out well. The oil will help soften it enough to be removed.

I have a question; I have two about 1 year old males and I have noticed that they have white gooey stuff in their but is this normal or should I seek vet care.. They seem to peeing, pooping, eating and drinking normally.

I have a question; I have two about 1 year old males and I have noticed that they have white gooey stuff in their but is this normal or should I seek vet care.. They seem to peeing, pooping, eating and drinking normally.

There is smegma around that area that is normal. It's a bunch of dead skin cells,oils, and moisture. It has a weird odor. You can clean it off easily with some q-tips and mineral oil. I have to do this weekly.

Okay, I have cleaned most of it off with water and a cotton ball, just the very outside of it and it went away I did that wed and now it came back today, I could find any information on it execpt finding calcium overbunfance so as lonf as I clean them weekly their really shouldn't be any problems?

Okay, I have cleaned most of it off with water and a cotton ball, just the very outside of it and it went away I did that wed and now it came back today, I could find any information on it execpt finding calcium overbunfance so as lonf as I clean them weekly their really shouldn't be any problems?

Yeah, unfortunately I have to clean that area weekly as well. Over time you'll get used to it and it becomes just another part of your routine. :eek:

Lot's of animals get smegma, even humans. Just another normal part of life! Diet changes won't help. Mammals are just icky. :p

Thank you for your help, I was really freaking out that there was something wrong. I am glad thats all there is to it, I'll get used to it.. So clean it weekly with q-tips and mineral oil?

I can't get my boars penis to protrude! I'm really frustraited because I haven't been able to clean it.

My piggies pee pee starts coming out when I'm spreading their butt sacks for cleaning, then I can extend it all the way easily. Maybe that's just my pigs...

MY PIG PEED ON ME LAST TIME! It was a nice steady little fountain like stream -.- I tried to extend it then but it didn't work very well. I bet I'm not pressing in the right spot.

How old do they have to be to start this? I think mine is 4-5 months old

@ricanxay I have a 3 (or is it 4 now?) month old piggie that needs a wipe down weekly for his bits. Checking over that area is recommended during weekly health checks. I think you should get into the habit now, and also get your piggie used to doing these.

@miss jean I tried to look at it this afternoon. His genital did not come out. But he did poo. Lol. Even this young I have to clean inside with a q tip and clean the grease gland?

You can spread the butt sack and see if there's any yuckies in there. I don't know how, but I've pulled out quite a bit of fur and hay from their bums. Even on my young piggie. I even found a wad of hair inside another pigs penis sheath! That could have caused a lot of issues if that were to be left in there.

I honestly can't describe how to protrude the penis. When I spread the butt sack openings,the penis starts comings out, and then if I push further upward the penis just pops right out. All the videos I've seen do it differently. Be equipped with treats when you do this,too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.