Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Grass

TigerzGirl

Cavy Slave
If they aren't used to it, could too much make them sick?

Since they eat hay all the time I wouldn't think so my I had one of my piggies out while I was sitting on the lawn with it and my mom kept telling me she would get sick if she wasn't used to it, her boyfriend kept saying it too. I told them no, because they eat hay all day, but they kept insisting it would.

So I thought I would ask so I could be an informed individual.

If guinea pigs don't eat grass normally, could they get sick from too much at once?

I would start by giving them small feedings to begin with, but then eventually start to increase the amount for a course of as long as you like. Then you can move to unlimited grass daily.

Make sure you aren't picking directly near a heavily trafficked road-- The chemicals and pollutants from cars aren't the best for your Pigs to be eating. If you are unsure, don't feed. I feed Grass to my Guinea Pigs as a treat, but it CAN be given daily.

Your mom and her boyfriend are somewhat right, and somewhat wrong. So, to answer your question, they shouldn't get sick, but to play it on the safe side, start with small amounts and slowly increase.

Alright, thank you! I didn't have her out/wouldn't have them out for very long anyway, but I'll be sure to try and feed them little bits before I let them out there. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.