Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

GP Sanctuary

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
K, I would like some feedback.

What are your thoughts with federally funded animal housing?

I've been doing research today and their is only one other no kill sanctuary for GP's in my state. I have been thinking long hours about starting one here. I haven't shared this with my family yet. Only because I have not come to a complete decision. The word Federal bugs me. What does that include? I have sent a email to the woman who has the no kill sanctuary in my state but as of yet she has not gotten back to me. I'm so full of questions.

I think if you have the space, the time and the energy to do that it would be GREAT! However I have zero info on federally funded animal housing- so I'm no use there.

I hope you will share whatever info you find with us so others can be informed! Personally, I'd like to hear what the woman from the no kill shelter has to say! :)

What is federally funded animal housing?

I think if you have the space, the time and the energy to do that it would be GREAT! :)

Thank you schavarry! I do have the room. I have an empty house that has been gutted for the past 5 years. It is 950+ sq feet w/kitchen and bath. It is maybe 10' from my home...
I don't want a "renter" and am strongly considering no kill shelter. I just need more info. before making a big decision.

I googled federally funded animal housing and the only things I could find were grants and funds given to shelters. There was also a reference to services pets. It sounds like there is federal money that shelters can apply for but it's not a given. I didn't see any reference to rescues. Where did you get your information on federally funded animal housing?

I think you need to talk to a lot of people who run rescues and shelters before you do that. You can't do it alone -- you'll need people who can help clean cages, feed sick animals, take care of them while you're away, screen people for adoptions, raise money, you name it and you'll need it. It's an incredible amount of work, and it's every day without fail.

Good for you if you can do it, but I'd suggest fostering for another rescue for a while before you make a commitment to do that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.