Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump GP Anatomy

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I've spent the better part of this morning researching anatomy. Goggled guinea pig pic which I don't recommend if you have weak stomachs.

My two GP's are growing a round lump behind the jaw and above the front legs. I can't tell if this is something I should worry about or if this is something normal in a growing guinea.

Any advice?

No, it's not normal, and may be swollen lymph nodes. If they were mine, I'd take them in for a vet visit -- lymphadenitis is very contagious, and can be very serious if not treated quickly. Abscesses also aren't anything to be fooled around with.

Wow! Again TYVM bpatters. Just got off the phone with my vet office. Expert is in surgery today and office staff butted in on surgery. You are correct this is not normal and soonest I can get them in is 8:30 tomorrow morning. Keeping fingers crossed.
Goodness I've only had these girls couple of months! Dang pet stores!

Dang pet stores!

Ok, maybe I jumped to conclusions about pet stores. Now that I have a name for what I'm dealing with I went to Guinea Lynx and looked it up.
This is something they said
11. Miscellaneous

• *Limiting the amount of coarse feed, especially very coarse stalky hay, may aid in decreasing the incidence of CL because irritation to the oral mucosa would be less. Hay is an important part of a guinea pig's diet, though. Therefore, a high-quality, dust-free, mold-free grass hay should be available to your guinea pig at all times.
  • *Chronic CL infections can be exacerbated by stress. Lack of Vitamin C may also play a role in CL infections.

I've been using Kaytee Timothy Hay maybe I should change. Maybe buying organic fruits and vegies is where I went wrong? Stress maybe? Lord knows I'm under stress. : )
    I wouldn't think Vit C. Meg loves oranges etc. She has the biggest growth. : (

Meg's Vet Update

Not out of woods yet, but at least I know.

Meg's lump is a puss pocket. Vet didn't want to lance it just yet because she is so young and apparently putting a piggie under is risky at best. So I have 13 syringes of Baytril for the next week. If there are no signs of improvement after antibiotics then she will have to have surgery. Keeping fingers crossed.

Re: Meg's Vet Update

Sending good thoughts your way that the Baytril will knock it out without a need for surgery.

How old is she?

He could have lanced it using local anesthetic, or at least used a needle to draw out as much of the pus as possible.

Usually oral antibiotics alone are not enough to treat abscesses. And if she's too young for surgery, it's likely she's too young for Baytril. Bactrim might be a better choice.

How old is she?

He could have lanced it using local anesthetic, or at least used a needle to draw out as much of the pus as possible.

Usually oral antibiotics alone are not enough to treat abscesses. And if she's too young for surgery, it's likely she's too young for Baytril. Bactrim might be a better choice.

She is aprox. 4 months old. Give or take...she is a pet store purchase and they didn't know. First time I had her in the vet's she aproxmated 4 months.

Now I'm at a lose as to what to do. Baytril vs Bactrim? Now I'm just really worried. I got about 2 hours of sleep last night fretting over Meg. Vet thinks this was a "freak" thing and course hay cut her throat. Teeth are fine and she didn't see any visible cuts in her throat. Vet stuck this thing down Meg's mouth and it made me cry then she stuck a needle in her for a biopsy and that really made me cry.

Is this an exotic vet or a pet store vet? @foggycreekcavy has some very valid concerns about not lancing, and about Baytril for a young pig.

Pet store vet? Hell No! : )

Exotic pet vet. I've taken all my pets to this office since 1992.

[email protected]

I've never had young pigs, so I'm not sure about the medical part, but one of mine did get an abscess from Oxbow hay and I'm pretty sure Kaytee is just as sticky. Since then I've used KMS hayloft (formerly Kleenmama) third cut hay. It's much softer. Even with it I feel through and take any pokies out. The store brands are always 1st or 2nd cut.

Until you get a softer hay at least feel through all of it you serve. I really wish they had to have marshmellows or something instead. :)

P.S. Shipping seems expensive, but if you compare by weight, it's the same or cheaper than store bought.

This is why I worry about giving my piggies apple and willow sticks. I'm always fearful they'll get a splinter or something in their throat!

Thank you all so much! Meg is a bit fussy right now and sleepy. I cuddled cupped her. She ate a whole leaf of red lettuce. I was able to feel the lump. It's only a fraction of what it was this morning. Vet must have sucked alot out. I dunno' she took Meg out of the room to stick her because I was already tearful.

It's hard to say what causes the neck/throat abscesses. Could be hay, could be inflamed lymph nodes or glands, or something altogether different.

Since you trust your vet, go ahead and treat her according to their directions for a few days. Weigh her daily. If the lump gets bigger, or she begins to lose weight, call the vet.

Yea

Megs abscess broke through the skin today. I'm still going to finish with her week's worth of Baytril and now I can use warm compresses. Should I try to trim her fur on her neck so I can get directly to the opening?

You'll need to continue with the antibiotic until the abscess is totally healed.

Are you going to flush out the abscess?

You'll need to continue with the antibiotic until the abscess is totally healed.

Are you going to flush out the abscess?

Yes to the antibiotics. She still has two days to go after today. She hates the whole process and now when I hold her she chatters her teeth thinking I'm going to make her take that nasty stuff. I'm also keeping her gut flora up by feeding her a dissolved poo from a healthy piggy.

I'm not sure if I can flush it out because I can't really see how large or small the drain hole is.

You may want to call your vet on Tuesday and get a refill on the antibiotics. If it just opened up today, there's a good chance it will be another week at least for it to fully heal.

Guinea pigs have a tendency to heal from the outside first, which means that the infection will be walled off again and continue to grow unless continued antibiotics are given.

Go ahead and trim the fur around the hole, and wash it off to get an idea of how large it is. Flushing abscesses makes them heal much faster, since you are getting the infection (pus) out.

I would flush it if I were you. You'll need sterile saline and a syringe with no needle. There's a picture in this thread with a syringe that works very well: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136.

And yes, I'd trim the hair to make it easier to deal with.

Also, the organism that caused the abscess may be very contagious. Wear gloves, change your clothes afterward, and keep the pig separated from the others.

Guinea pig pus is very thick and smelly, and the curved tip of that syringe lets you direct the saline in different directions inside the would to get it cleared out.

Also, the organism that caused the abscess may be very contagious. Wear gloves, change your clothes afterward, and keep the pig separated from the others.
Leave it to bpatters to not pull any punches and I thank you.

I attempted to trim her fur before reading your post. While doing so the puss started flowing. I had her swattled and my husband was holding her for me. I was able to clean her up some with wet cotton balls and find the whole. It's bigger than I expected. I have empty syringes from her antibiotics and was able to flush it a few times. Not an easy job with a mad squirming pig. I'll get a better syringe and saline solution tomorrow at the Co-Op.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.