Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Got a whiff of Oliver. Blech.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Our little Oliver has become a boar. Not that he wasn't always a boar, but more of a boar. Plus it's just in time to be neutered tomorrow.

One of our girls is either in heat or he just noticed that his neighbors are girls because I walked by his cage just a bit ago and he was rumblestrutting and the most horrid smell was coming from his direction. BLECH. :yuck:

I know it's because he's a boy and normal and all of that, but does that lessen up after neutering or will this be a horrible issue that gets worse once he's living with the girls? Just trying to prepare myself.

I thought I'd smelled it once before but apparently it wasn't full force that time. Right now he's alone in a 2X4 that's right next to the girls 2X4 so they can see and smell each other but cannot get to each other. Once he's gone through the recovery time after his neuter we'd planned on letting him live with the girls but that smell, it made me nauseous. I'm hoping he'd get used to being around the girls and not do it so much.

Any advice/suggestions?

I'm fairly new to g-pigs but I have two boars. Does it smell skunk-like? becuase this is what i smell a lot?

We don't have a boar stank issue with our pigs. Our neutered boar, Triton, doesn't smell at all, even when he passes gas. Picckalo (intact) smells a bit spicy, but not bad. His farts can on occasion clear part of a room, and he delights in pointing his bum at you while he releases the toxic fumes. But otherwise he doesn't smell bad, even when he's flirting with the girls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.