Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Got a second Guinea Pig; Can't tell if they get along well!!

veslex

Cavy Slave
So I just got a second guinea pig to keep the first one company. My first guinea pig, named Checkers, really seems to enjoy Honeydew's (second Guinea Pig) company.

HOWEVER. Honeydew doesn't seem to really like Checkers. Whenever Checkers approaches him, he makes that Guinea Pig sound that means "keep away", but Checkers seems to be happy around him. I'm not sure if they are still fighting over dominance (they stopped mounting each other). Honeydew likes to keep his distance from Checkers, and spends a lot of his time napping, and only chews on hay when I put it in front of his face.

Will they eventually get along? Or should I just put them both in separate cages? What do you guys think?

They seem to be doing fine. The only time to separate is when they fight until blood shed or one of them don't get to eat. Are you weighing them? How long have you had the 2nd one? He sounds like he's sick if he seems to be napping a lot and not eat unless you put hay in front of his face.

I just got him today. Yeah I'm starting to think that myself. He eats rather slowly compared to Checkers (although I don't know if it's caused by the stress of a new environment). I had to hand feed him carrots and lettuce for dinner. He doesn't move around a lot, although he will run to a new hidey hole when Checkers approaches him or if I try to pick him up (he let's me gently stroke his back though).

Hi and welcome. Since the piggies are already together it's to late to quarintine if the new piggy is sick then the other one is already exposed. It could just be a case of new enviorment because it takes them a while to start moving around. Just keep a close eye on them just in case. It sounds like they are doing fine with the introductions but the only reason to seaperate them now is due to biting where blood is drawn or if one of them is keeping the other from eating.

Well Honeydew has begun moving around more now although hes not really running everywhere. He just goes from one side of the cage to the other and he's started eating more hay too.
Right now they're both sleeping. They sleep on opposite sides of the cage :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.