Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Goodness goodness...

LaurenB16

Cavy Slave
So I got my adoptee earlier today! She's so beautiful and friendly. I was instantly in love.
So I got her home and set up and area where she could just chill out for awhile with some food and hay and water. And then (because she was from a rescue and was recently in quarantine and healthy) I started the introductions.

OMG STRESSFUL!

I had read so many threads and information pages here and on guinealynx about this but man oh man... The whole time I was freaking out, thinking it was going to escalate. I did a whole thing on my blog with videos and everything.

So right now, I am laying on my couch because I don't want to go to the bedroom... I think I'll sleep here; keep an ear out.

Molly did a lot of rumblestrutting (which I gotta say, was SO interesting to watch), and Abigail did a lot of chasing and butt sniffing and stuff... They were super loud, and Donna (nee Caramela) just did a lot of talking and running.

I thought everything was going fine.

But now they're in the cage, three hours later, and NOW it seems to be escalating a little bit... Donna lunged at Molly (which hadn't happened in three hours) and there's now teeth chattering going on from Molly and Donna...

I'm kind of freaking out. I need to sleep (I'm crazy sick), but I'm worried what's going to happen during the night...
Should I separate the cage for now into a 3x2 and a 4x2 and let them get acquainted through the grids? They've already been in personal close contact though, so I don't know if that'll do any good...

Advice please *worried*

And here's Donna
[GuineaPigCages.com] Goodness goodness...

Donna is a gorgeous pig!

Do you have multiple water bottles and food/pellet bowls? And plenty of hideys with two entrances/exits? If so, I'd probably sleep on the couch and leave them all together. Maybe they'll settle down when you turn the lights out.

Yeah i have two food dishes, three water bottles, the fleece forest, a tunnel, some cozy tunnels, and a huge wooden house (only one exit though)

They've been quiet for about half an hour now... Donna has taken up refuge in the hay area...

But alright, I'll keep them together, and be sure to keep and eye out.

And thanks! I had seen her picture but I couldn't believe how beautiful she was when I saw her in person :D

Kay well, Donna got cut on the nose. So I separated the cage... Molly and Abigail are still trying to get to that side of the cage though. *headdesk*

OooH sounds like fun. donna is pretty

For superficial wounds and scrapes, I usually don't separate.

I'm going through the same issue with my adopted pig now- I'm afraid to keep them together when I'm not around so I separated the cage with grids and give them floor time together. But I have no idea if that's what I should have done.

I'm going through the same issue with my adopted pig now- I'm afraid to keep them together when I'm not around so I separated the cage with grids and give them floor time together. But I have no idea if that's what I should have done.

No, you shouldn't. Bpatters and I responded to your thread.

For those working on intros: Never introduce pigs and then separate them, unless your intention is to keep them separated for the foreseeable future.

No, you shouldn't. Bpatters and I responded to your thread.

I saw that, thanks so much for your help. Glad I have a resource of knowledgeable people to help me as I learn and figure this all out!

Alrighty, well you guys are smart. I had just read that if there's blood to end it; so that's why I put up the grid.
But I've since taken it down, and here's the stress all over again, though it seems muted today. I've put another hay area in the cage, just in case, and I'm letting them go at it.

There's teeth chattering, and butt wagging, and hackles raised, but I think only two lunges.

They're so weird!! All of a sudden, after Abigail and Donna circling each other, Donna walks away and goes to lay in the basket, and Abigail starts popcorning! I was like.. wait a minute, I thought you weren't happy.
It seems if anyone gets too close to Donna, she starts making this loud noise that generally sounds like "go away".
I'm not sure she's used to being around other piggies.

They're so weird!! All of a sudden, after Abigail and Donna circling each other, Donna walks away and goes to lay in the basket, and Abigail starts popcorning!

That was Abigail saying "I WON! I WON!" :eek: LOL

BTW, I love the name Abigail. I just named my little kitten Abigail.

LOL That's what I thinking! A victory dance :D

And thanks XD It's a good name

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.