Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye Alenko </3

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
It's taken me a few days to feel up to typing this up, but Saturday night Alenko drew his last breath. . .
[GuineaPigCages.com] Goodbye Alenko </3

He was only a year and 2 months old. I adopted him and November in late February and he joined Warden in a large 3x4 living space. They seemed to get along fairly well and I was very happy with all of the guinea pigs.
A few weeks ago I noticed that Alenko stopped eating as much as he normally did and started to become less active. He apparently has always been a "lazier" pig, not enjoying running and popcorning as others, but rather being his usual casual self. [Which is one of the reasons I feel I might have bonded so quickly to his personality]. I called the rescue I had adopted him from and we took him to the vet for a check-up. He was diagnosed with bloat and given medicine and twice a day I would rub and pat his belly to relieve some gas. I had to begin force feeding him and supplementing his nutrition because I didn't have a blender to mash vegetables up.
Anyways, after 2 weeks of feeding him through a syringe and moving him into a split 2x3 next to Cara [his potential girlfriend after he was better and went through a little surgery], he seemed to perk up. He began drinking, eating hay and lettuce, and I saw him popcorn for the first time ever!

This last Friday night I had him on the couch and he squeaked and popcorned and looked like he was enjoying life again. I put him to bed and went upstairs. Saturday morning, around 6 am, I got up and noticed he was a little puffed up again. I texted the rescue and said I probably need to bring Alenko back to the vet on Tuesday to make sure he's doing fine.
By 3 pm he wasn't looking well at all. I made some soft food to give him, picked him up, and tried feeding him because I hadn't seen him eat at all yet today. He let all of it just fall from his mouth like brown drool. I was terrified. I called the rescue up and she said to bring him ASAP. I put him in a carrier and wrapped him up in a towel. As I was picking him up, he drooped to his side like he was drunk or something.
After the 13 minutes drive to the rescue [which should normally take around 35 minutes], I was told he was severely dehydrated. He was given a few CCs of water injections and a warm water bottle wrapped up with him in the towel.

. . . It didn't do anything. More water was given to him. Nothing. His body was losing all of its heat and he was becoming almost hypothermic. He was shutting down. It was time to say goodbye.
It's just that terrible feeling that you get right after they're given a shot to make them go to sleep and they struggle so much more to stay awake now than they ever did to stay alive. What if this was him fighting, saying he could pull through?
Both the cavy-savy vet and the rescue said there were no signs of illness and multiple tests were done. The vet was the first one to suggest depression. Alenko had come from a VERY loving family whose child had developed severe allergies to even being in the house with him. After he was relinquished, he never recovered. Was my love not good enough? Did they love him MORE? What else could I have done? Those are the thoughts going through my head now. The only thing I know now is that I already miss him.

R.I.P. Alenko, my little chubby bunny.

I'm sorry for your loss, but these issues were not your fault. I do not think your guinea pig was depressed because of the change in owners. I don't even think that is possible. You gave him a great life, and I'm glad he was in your care.

Rest in peace little pig...

Also sending out some positive vibes to you, in hopes you heal from this sad news alright.

Aw :( I'm sorry for the loss of your "little chubby bunny" He was a cutie! He did not die because you didn't love him enough. Believe me. There's more to it, you just don't have an answer and that is one of the hardest things to come to terms with (I know it was for me when we lost a little guy months ago). Maybe he's romping with Alfred right now as I type this :)

I am so sorry :( I am sure your love was all that he needed, but sometimes it's just our time to leave this earth.

I'm really sorry for your loss. What type of surgery did he have? There might have been some complications from the surgery that were beyond your control. You did the right thing by contacting the rescue for advice. Baby simethicone is something to keep handy in case of bloat. Probiotics are fgood or preventing bloat but if a guinea pig develops it, give 1/2 the pediatric dose twice a day for a few days. In severe cases, they still might need medical care from a vet.

The fact that you said that you force fed him and took him to the vet asap says to me that you were a very good owner to your little piggie. It doesn't sound like he was depressed at all, apart from when he was sick which is understandable. And another thing, I don't think they would have suggested putting him down if there was a chance he could recover. You took him to a rescue after all. It's normal to feel like you could have done something else to help your beloved pet, but i think you did everything in your power. I felt like this too when I had to put down my bunny due to chronic feet infections. That feeling never really goes away, but it will get muh better. RIP Alenko

You loved him and he knew (and knows) you loved him with everything you had. Just from your post above, and everything you did for him, no one could have loved him more.

Humans sometimes pass mysteriously, and we do not know why. I am daily convinced that piggies are some of the most complex animals to understand and care for -- which includes anyone (even cavy-savvy vets) being unable to always diagnose why a living thing passed on. In my limited experience, too, it seems that it is very easy for a small problem to cascade in a piggy, unknown for a long time, and that there is nothing that even the most loving and attentive piggy parent could do. We cannot always save our own human children, despite the best care, and they can communicate with us in ways that we understand better. Cavies are designed to put on a brave face and keep their troubles secret.

I know that nothing I say here can help the void or the pain, but you loved him more than enough. I believe he lives, as do all animals, in a pain-free place and I believe with everything in my soul that you will see Alenko again in a happier, more peaceful time.

He didn't actual have any surgery. I said it was a potential [he was going to get neutered next week if he was feeling better.] For the bloat, I was given Reglan and suggested a medicine for baby's tummy's, probably the simethicone. He was getting metacam for pain twice a day too for the first 2 weeks.
He seemed completely disinterested in anything else after moving in with me. There are plenty of people that have talked about changes in behavior from the loss of a cage mate or person, @MissJean .

But thank you everyone for the kind words. These last two weeks have been just completely awful in terms of personal things going on and having Alenko pass away after perking up for a few days just totally smashed all the positive feelings I had left. Bleh.

[ On a side note, guinea pig farts and gas are the WORST smelling thing I've ever come into contact with.]

It sounds like you were the best possible owner he could have gone to. You did everything within your power to make him happy and to make sure he had medical care. I suspect there was some underlying medical issue rather than depression, but it's one of those things you'll never know. Take comfort in the fact that you provided him with a good life and loved him well in the time you had him. He looks like he was such a little sweetie.

I am so sorry for the loss Alenko. You really did do everything possible to help and love your little guy. He couldnt have had a better mommy.
I always go to the Rainbow Bridge.com when I am hurting over the loss of one of my pets. It helps my soul and gives me great comfort knowing (and believing) I will see them again.
I like the poem set to music. May it soothe your soul and give you comfort.

I am so very sorry for your loss. You truly did everything you could. Sending you warm internet hugs.

I wasn't being rude, @arionat799. And I did introduce myself in the All About Us thread =P
but anyways, thank you. It still feels like it though no matter how much I try not to think of it.

This is going to sound super emo, but this last weeks has been terrible and Alenko passing away was the one of the worst things that could happen.
1. Monday was exactly one year after my best friend killed herself.
2. On my fieldwork/ externship, someone friggin' DIED while I was trying to treat them during occupational therapy.
3. Alenko dies.
4. Awesomesauce. That's my week in a nutshell. And my shoes are broken. haha?

This is going to sound super emo, but this last weeks has been terrible and Alenko passing away was the one of the worst things that could happen.
2. On my fieldwork/ externship, someone friggin' DIED while I was trying to treat them during occupational therapy.
3. Alenko dies.

My jaw is on the floor -- you are amazing for being able to both keep it together and be so honest about how hard it is right now. I have no words of wisdom but my human and piggy family are sending you wheeks and love and prayers (even the humans are wheeking!).

I wasn't being rude, @arionat799 . And I did introduce myself in the All About Us thread =P

Sorry, I guess I should mind my own business more often and worry about myself...

3. Alenko dies.

I am soooooo sorry you are going through all of this.

This is really the only time, other than bawling my eyes out to my bf [of course], that I've really said most of this. People on this website are so caring and kind. To guinea pigs and fellow guinea pig lovers.

This is really the only time, other than bawling my eyes out to my bf [of course], that I've really said most of this. People on this website are so caring and kind. To guinea pigs and fellow guinea pig lovers.
I know you must be hurting so much, know you are in my thoughts. Glad you can talk to us and your bf, just knowing someone cares sometimes is enough sunshine through the clouds to make the world seem less dreary. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.