Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Good Hand Vac for fleece?

myguys

Cavy Slave
:?: Can anyone tell me what is a good hand vac to pick up the poops on the fleece? I had a great one that lasted 5 years and I can't find it anymore...a Dirt Devil. But every Dirt Devil model I've tried since only lasts about 4 months! I'm sick of always having to buy a new one! I want to know what other folks use and love! I'm afraid of getting something with too much suction and it will just ruin everything!

I am using a dirt devil atm and it works great, I just know it will not work on my hay, it clogs it up way to fast. It works great for poop though, I still have to broom and dust pan for the hay :/

As @spy9doc said, I too use a Wet and Dry Vac. The brand is Shop Vac.

I got the smallest capacity which still lasts about a good two weeks if I use it solely for the Piggies. It is a 1 Gallon tank. I spent $35 on it, which isn't bad. Just throw on a brush attachment so it doesn't suck up the fleece itself and you are good to go. It works great for poops, but I would pick up any big pieces of hay before you vacuum, or it will get clogged. I had it clogged pretty bad last night, but it has a blower feature as well as the vacuum/sucking feature, so if it does get clogged, I aim it into the trash can and turn on the blower which will clear up NEARLY any clogs you have. :)

I was using a Black & Decker little wet/dry hand vac, but that thing just started smelling rank and there was just no getting the smell out. I use a RIGID wet/dry shop vac. Granted, it's pretty large, but it's not heavy and it has wheels. I can easily take it outside and wash it out with a hose. Got it for $20 at a black Friday sale a few years ago and it still is doing it's job.

I bought Black & Decker's version of the Dyson hand vac (called Cordless Cyclonic) and while I'm not using it for cleaning cages, it is pretty fantastic overall.

I guess I just didn't clean it enough.
Certified lazy butt here!

Yeah, I wouldn't use it for the hay....just the poops! Thanks, Everybody for the quick response!

I use

moulinex extenso 3.6v
it was cheap, about 25bucks. its not too powerful du its low voltage, but it does the job very good, and it doesnt suck fleece up so whatever. charge takes about 10hours, no idea how long it will last, the max i used it was like 10mins, then i put it in charge again. as for the filter its simple and easy to wash. the only issue is that it fills up quickly and theres a small area where poop gets stuck and its hard to get. overall its a good value.(broken link removed)

FYI, I gave up using the vacuums for one simple reason, the smell of the air that comes out of the vacuum is unbearable. It is a hot poo smell that quickly fills our house.:sick: And I have tried four different types of hand vacs and have the same issue with them, the smell they eject is just unreal. My last try was a Dirt Devil Ultra and it has a Arm&Hammer filter to reduce the smell, HAHA! NOT! There is no stopping the smell of poo when air blasts by it and out the port on the vacuum. I am sticking to a small dust pan and broom combo usually used for cars or small clean ups. It is a little more work but not much more when you consider fighting the fleece being sucked in to the vacuum.:silly:

Basically a vacuum is a great way to make your entire house stink badly, very quickly.:yuck:

FYI, I gave up using the vacuums for one simple reason, the smell of the air that comes out of the vacuum is unbearable. It is a hot poo smell that quickly fills our house.:sick: And I have tried four different types of hand vacs and have the same issue with them, the smell they eject is just unreal. My last try was a Dirt Devil Ultra and it has a Arm&Hammer filter to reduce the smell, HAHA! NOT! There is no stopping the smell of poo when air blasts by it and out the port on the vacuum. I am sticking to a small dust pan and broom combo usually used for cars or small clean ups. It is a little more work but not much more when you consider fighting the fleece being sucked in to the vacuum.:silly:

Basically a vacuum is a great way to make your entire house stink badly, very quickly.:yuck:

I REALLY agree. I tried using hand vacs and had the same experience. Plus, you can't really get into all the spots in the vacuum to clean so I don't think it's really hygienic. I put my little broom and dust pan in the washing machine to wash it because it gets dirty, too.

anyone in england do not get the hand vac from asda which is their own make i made the mistake and its not very good quality

I used my home vaccume and ruined it.. it makes the whole house stink.... I bet a shop vac would be a better choice. I was thinking of getting a hand vac myself just a cheapo at walmart.... might just talk the hubs into a shop vac.

I've been using my regular vacuum...just the hose attachment. How did yours get ruined @boofp? We have this one: (broken link removed)

It's the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser- we used to have an american eskimo dog, she shed A LOT.

If you need this much emptying and cleaning for the vacuum, isn't just a plain ole dust pan and whisk broom so much easier and faster?

Yes, this will happen.........but only if you don't empty the vac after each use AND wash the receptacle either with ammonia or with a weak bleach solution at least once a week. I use a toothbrush to get into all the nooks inside the receptacle and also get the pet hair out of the filter.

If you don't pay attention to the cleanliness of the vac, it will smell worse that a dirty cavy cage. >(
I guess I just need to break mine down and clean it out

I've been using my regular vacuum...just the hose attachment. How did yours get ruined @boofp ? We have this one: (broken link removed)

It's the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser- we used to have an american eskimo dog, she shed A LOT.

when I vaccum it stinks up the house. I guess I will try to clean It out better and change the filters.

I get mini brooms and dust pans at the dollar store. Work great and can be replaced when they get gross. I also use one of the mini dust pans to scoop out the kitchen when needed. Too much effort is needed to break out the vacuum and clean the vacuum constantly. Not worth it to me lol

I'm using a dirt devil one i got from wal-mart for $15.00. It's a wireless one that you just charge it until you want to use it. It works great

Yeah I would have to say the dust pan and mini broom work best. I have used both a bagless and a bagged vacuum, always clean! Lol, can not imagine why someone would think I would use a dirty vacuum and then complain about it smelling? :crazy: And I do still use the Dirt Devil on occasion, after I have thoroughly swept up and just want to get the dust and flecks off the fleece. But I do not use it for feces or hay any longer.

I have this Black and Decker and it works well. I empty it very time I use it and do wash it once in awhile. It's ONLY used for piggy cage cleaning and I've had it a year and it still works great. No smell either. ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.