Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Good dog food? Helping dog gain weight.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
As others have said...Raw! I've been feeding raw for years and it's amazing. If you don't want to get into figuring out how to feed raw, you can go with a premade raw like Answers, Primal, Stella & Chewy's, ect. Though if you feed a premade raw it's recommended that you feed RMBs (Raw meaty bones) often to help with tooth health since it's mushy food. If you can't do raw there are many good foods you can buy in stores. Educate yourself on what a good dog food should look like, that way you can go into a store and pick out the best food at the best price. The most important thing to remember is that the first ingredient should be a meat like chicken, beef, ect. No unspecific meats (These could be road kill for all we know) and no by-products. Make sure not to be lead by fancy labels like "Nutritionally complete!" or anything along those lines, just head straight for the facts, the ingredients. :)

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Pedigree is a good brand... we used it for my cat. My dog likes dry food so I don't know if the brand we use for her even has wet food, but I think Pedigree is a good brand.
My bad... when you said pedigree I was thinking purina. That is what we feed my cat... purina.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Bread is not a good suggestion at all. I wouldn't follow that advice at all. The dog will likely eat it, but it's not good for them and they aren't evolved to digest grains, especially overprocessed grains like bread or white rice.

On the raw comment about affordability, it can be very inexpensive to feed raw depending on your location. I get whole chickens on sale for $.49/lb and have found a local farmer where I get horse, beef, chicken, geese, rabbit, you name it for under a buck a pound. Totally doable and so worth the benefits over kibble.

Back to the original post, has this dog been to a vet? That she's eating smaller bites could mean she's picky, but it could also mean the larger pieces hurt her mouth somehow. Also, some bloodwork to rule out thyroid or other issues might be a good idea.

I would just like to state again to everyone that this is NOT my dog. (I'm not trying to come off as rude in any way by saying that, so please don't take it that way. I just really don't know very much of anything about her medical history.)

One of the last times that she went to the vet that i know of was when she got spayed. They said that the vet said she was underweight, although if he recommended anything I do not know, and i don't believe they went through with whatever his recommendation was- if he recommended anything at all.

I could try suggesting they take her to the vet about it, but as i've said the owner (my boyfriends' sister) does not like me and is a VERY stubborn person, so there's no guarantee that she would even consider it. Honestly I think everyone except for me and my boyfriend thinks that she's a normal weight.

Now I have a question that I've already asked but hasn't been answered yet.
When she does eat the puppy's food, the puppy's owner (my bf's brother) screams at her and repeatedly calls her a "bad dog". Could this make her associate eating as a bad thing?

puddin18

Cavy Slave
I have a beagle that was a stray and she is slowly gaining her weight back on Blue Buffalo. She was emaciated when we found her (10-12 pounds underweight).
Blue Buffalo was also the first decent brand I could get my cat to eat when trying to get her off of Friskies. I tried three or four other brands and Blue was the only one she would eat. She prefers the wet but I can't always afford the wet. She actually went three days without eating once when I took the Friskies away.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I would just like to state again to everyone that this is NOT my dog. (I'm not trying to come off as rude in any way by saying that, so please don't take it that way. I just really don't know very much of anything about her medical history.)
If the dog's in your care and you're going to attempt making a drastic change in her food, I'd really suggest getting her to a vet given the things you've mentioned, whether you are the technical owner or not.

If eating the puppy food is a problem then you need to find a way to feed the puppy separately from her and vice versa. Sure, she can associate being screamed at with eating, but that's not a problem that doesn't have an easy remedy, either.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
If the dog's in your care and you're going to attempt making a drastic change in her food, I'd really suggest getting her to a vet given the things you've mentioned, whether you are the technical owner or not.

If eating the puppy food is a problem then you need to find a way to feed the puppy separately from her and vice versa. Sure, she can associate being screamed at with eating, but that's not a problem that doesn't have an easy remedy, either.

I'm only 18 and live with my boyfriend and his mom and brother. Right now, I'm not any kind of owner at all whatsoever for her and she is not in my care, my boyfriend's mom is taking care of her because his sister can't have her at their house for the time being for some reason.
I would be able to afford buying her new healthier food, maybe even be able to afford doing the raw diet for her-- although if she isn't staying here permanently I don't think that would be a very good option because her owner would *probably* feed her kibbles no matter what.
I wouldn't be able to afford to take her to the vet, as I have 2 guinea pigs to take care of as well as having to buy my own food, and I only make 7.25 an hour working 20-30 hours a week.
I will talk to his mom about taking her to the vet and even offer to help with the costs, as I know she's very tight on money at the moment, but I can't afford to do something like that by myself.
Most vets around here won't work out payment plans, but if i can find one that will and his mom won't consider taking her at all, then i will try to do that.

Lately he (the puppy's owner) has been keeping the bowl of puppy food on the counter, but when he forgets to put it up and she eats out of it, it's automatically her fault and she gets yelled at for it. I don't think that's right.
And yeah, the easy remedy would be for him to stop screaming at her, right? I wish it were that simple. I have no idea what i could say to him to make him stop doing that, if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. :)
Honestly though, I feel like i'm not taken seriously in this house. Especially when it comes to animal care (his mom thinks George's cage is ridiculously sized for a guinea pig, for instance), so I feel like my efforts and talks with them may just fall on deaf ears..

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
[MENTION=25470]Aleks[/MENTION] Thank you so much for caring about this dog.

If you are planning to switch her food, and want her owner to keep on feeding it, going with cheap grain-free food would be a better option. The Kirkland food I mentioned earlier is not bad at all.

I met a dog at my daughter's school and noticed she had really shiny coat, so I asked the owner what they feed her. To my surprise, they said Costco dog food. I went home and looked it up.

I have not try that food with my dog, but from the ingredients list and the reviews, it looks like a decent food.

I'm currently feeding him raw in the morning, and Earthborn Holistic grain-free kibble in evening.

acydrose

Cavy Slave
I feed Blue Wilderness for puppy :) its done amazing things for my pups health. But its high in protein so it should be accompanied by lots of exercise.

CookiesMom

Cavy Slave
I feed mine Solid Gold. A little spend, but highly nutritious and he loves it. I give a little wet, and a little dry twice a day.
Looks for something that has meat as a first ingredient, veggies, and limited grains. It could also be the dog has an allergy or sensitivity, so if you cannot take it to the vet, try a dog food without wheat and see what happens.

CookiesMom

Cavy Slave
I would want to know why they have so many recalls? Is it regulators, in which case I would worry, or is it that they are awesome at regulating themselves, which would make me gravitate towards them. Just what came to mind.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Aleks Thank you so much for caring about this dog.

If you are planning to switch her food, and want her owner to keep on feeding it, going with cheap grain-free food would be a better option. The Kirkland food I mentioned earlier is not bad at all.

I met a dog at my daughter's school and noticed she had really shiny coat, so I asked the owner what they feed her. To my surprise, they said Costco dog food. I went home and looked it up.

I have not try that food with my dog, but from the ingredients list and the reviews, it looks like a decent food.

I'm currently feeding him raw in the morning, and Earthborn Holistic grain-free kibble in evening.

Aw, "thanks" aren't even needed. I grew up developing a very strong emotional connection to all animals and feel like I have developed a special bond with this dog in particular, I don't think I would be able to even look at myself the same way if I didn't do something to try to help her out.
I might end up getting the Kirkland food, but before that I'm going to look up a few other good brands mentioned and compare the ingredients/prices/what's available near me, then pick which one is the healthiest while still being able to work it into my budget. The soonest I'll be able to get it is Friday (when I get paid).

Will I need to gradually switch her to the new food, or can i switch immediately?

chip123

Cavy Slave
That's not healthy for the dog at all. It's better for them to bulk up their muscle mass, than to just get fat. They need protein, not carb.

most dogs if u start them with carbs but still give them plenty of exercise will put on muscle

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
Chip, please stop spreading false information. Dogs' bodies are NOT designed to eat carbs!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

One of the last times that she went to the vet that i know of was when she got spayed. They said that the vet said she was underweight, although if he recommended anything I do not know, and i don't believe they went through with whatever his recommendation was- if he recommended anything at all.

I could try suggesting they take her to the vet about it, but as i've said the owner (my boyfriends' sister) does not like me and is a VERY stubborn person, so there's no guarantee that she would even consider it. Honestly I think everyone except for me and my boyfriend thinks that she's a normal weight.

Now I have a question that I've already asked but hasn't been answered yet.
When she does eat the puppy's food, the puppy's owner (my bf's brother) screams at her and repeatedly calls her a "bad dog". Could this make her associate eating as a bad thing?

A quick fix is calling animal services on her, they will follow up and if they feel her weight is fine, no harm done. Some people do keep their animals on the lowest end of the skinny/fine scale and it kills those of us that hate to see the ribs. Boo is at the scale if he gained 5-10 lbs, he'd be considered over weight.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
most dogs if u start them with carbs but still give them plenty of exercise will put on muscle

The reason body builders eat carbs is for fuel, not muscle and mostly go carb cycling. For muscle they eat protein. Don't believe me, look it up. Most people eat more carbs then they should, if you don't burn those carbs...they get stored as fat, not muscle, hence the problems we face today with the carb heavy diets most people eat. If you never ate grains, rice, beans, you body would get all the carbs it needs for fuel from plant matter, vegetables and fruit.

The muscle those dogs are putting on is from the exercise not the carbs.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
When my dogs did the raw diet, I use to use a hammer in the beginning to break up the bones some for boo, he hates large bones/treats. Depending on the dog if it doesn't like big bones/treats it will help them eat it. If he is the type of dog that will tear into a huge rawhide, he should be fine. I also cracked an raw egg into their bowl, shell and all, its very good for them and their coat. Boo also gets a tbsp of coconut oil.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Chip, please stop spreading false information. Dogs' bodies are NOT designed to eat carbs!
I've begun to suspect this Chip character is either a breeder or someone otherwise that shouldn't be taken seriously in this kind of conversation. Suggesting bread and rice and then this silliness hardly warrants a response, I think. :)

Also, [MENTION=25470]Aleks[/MENTION], I wanted to add that Taste of the Wild is a good quality grain free food that is pretty economical, too. I used to feed it to my cat because he was quite obnoxious about protesting the switch to raw for a long time so I was on the hunt for a good grain-free solution and I was not unhappy at all with either the cost or the results. Not sure how it compares to Kirkland brand but it was much cheaper than some of the other grain free options out there at the time.