Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Good dog food brands. Recommendations?

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I feed Wellness Core dog food to my dogs. Pretty spendy but my dogs are tiny so they don't eat a lot. I also feed Holistic Select to my cats. Piggies also get best of the best of everything!! Fresh farmer's market lettuce, carrots, peppers, etc., and in winter whenra the market is closed they only get organic veggies. I guess I feel its my responsibility to provide them with the best of everything, same as I did with my children. To me their health and wellbeing is more important than the price. I just work some overtime or take on extra projects to make some extra money and cover the costs. But that's just me. lol

I personally feel that for ANY dog you need to purchase grain free foods for them. Dogs are meat eaters and not meant to eat grain. But you also can't just trust the labels. You MUST take the responsibility to read the ingredients.

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Blue Buffalo is an excellent food. It's the type I feed my dogs.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
We used to feed our dog the Chicken Soup brand food (Yes, it was titled just like the books-- "Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul," "Chicken Soup for the Senior Dog's Soul," etc. No idea what the relationship between the books and the dog food is, but whatever...). As far as I know, it was a decently good brand, but it may have also been a more local brand that isn't available nationwide.
We now feed him Prescription Diet T/D food, which we get from our vet. The vet recommended it for our dog's teeth, and he really likes it. He's small (10 lbs.), but we get the big kibbles for him anyway to help keep his teeth even cleaner. :)

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
All 4Health grain-free products are now produced by Ainsworth and not Diamond. Makes no sense why some are and some aren't but that's how they're doing it.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info.... I had no idea they changed manufactures. The 4health grain free really is the best food you can get in that price range. I wish it were more widely available.

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
our dogs eat chicken soup for the dog lovers soul dog food and all of them love it even the super picky 16 year old silky terrier loves it. on the dog food analysis site this food rates 4 stars which is good i would like to feed them taste of the wild but the slightly smaller bags of TOTW makes it to expensive to buy when it doesn't last as long as the slightly bigger bag of chicken soup

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
That's good to know! Thanks for the info.... I had no idea they changed manufactures. The 4health grain free really is the best food you can get in that price range. I wish it were more widely available.

@piggypuppylove, it was $36.99 for a 30lb bag. Not bad. We're going to start the switch on Monday. Hoping it goes smoothly. Also, what should I do with the 30+lb of the Ol Roy. I don't want to just throw it away and it's in a big storage tub with a lid so no more bag (not sure if I can donate it without bag?)

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Also, what should I do with the 30+lb of the Ol Roy. I don't want to just throw it away and it's in a big storage tub with no more bag (not sure if I can donate it without bag?)

I would call the shelter and ask if they will take it. You could also do a craigslist add and see if anyone needs it. Who knows, it could help someone who is having to surrender their dog to the shelter to keep their dog until they can either find a way to keep them or find another home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.