Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Going to India. Food and warmth question. Ideas?

clanpiggus

Cavy Slave
Hi,
Thank you for reading my thread- I need your brain power. I work as an ESL kindergarten and elementary teacher. I am also a single mom. My brain is a little fried right now.

I need some ideas from all of you regarding our upcoming situation. My daughter and I are moving back to India to study Tibetan.We are going to live in Northern India in the mountain range in front of the Himalayas. Our town is third world.

We enjoy the following comforts;
Power outs lasting a week- I am going to get a gas heater and some solar torches.

Water shortages that last for weeks.
I will give the piggies bottled water during that time.

Water that cannot be drunk unless it's boiled- I will purchase an R.O. filter.

Monsoon floods the streets for four months out of the year- very humid houses during this time. Everything molds.

I can't get piggie pellets because they are prohibitively expensive- on India's Ebay, I found some for $200 U.S. for 1 lb. Pellets are not going to be part of their diet unless I make them myself which is possible...but time-consuming! Therefor I need to feed grains and raw foods along with hay. What grains can they eat and not eat? I can buy most all grains and have it pounded into flake form.

What vitamins do they need aside from 'C' and in what dosages? I can go to the chemist and get whatever I need for them in terms of vitamins and medicines.

Also, what to do for the heat problem in the winter? The piggies already have sacks. I will buy a gas heater so we won't worry for power outs but we will live in an unsealed concrete house with no insulation. When I find our idea home, I will seal the concrete and use moisture barrier on the outside, probably covering the outside with mud(a local tradition there). Even with a gas heater, the inside temp. can fall to less than 68F.

Finally, the cage situation is going to be tough. I can't get cubing unless I bring it from Taiwan. I can however find plastic tubs and epoxy. I can get fairly large plastic tubs and the sign plastic from Delhi, the capital city. Can piggies just live in a sign plastic cage?

Thanks ever so much for your help. I appreciate it. If you can think of any more issues that I have overlooked, please do let me know.

Yeshi

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.