Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Going on vacation, can't find someone to take care of my guineas!

oreo_mocha

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,

I'm from Toronto and my family is wanting to go on vacation, but we cannot seem to find anyone that can take our guineas for a few weeks. My relatives said they cannot and I don't think my friends can either.

Any recommendations on what I should do?

Look for rescues or vets in the area. They might offer boarding.

You could also hire a pet sitter.

Where are you located, and how may guineas are there? I am wondering if we could take them; just not sure were we would put them! Another idea: Piggles Rescue, where I got my pair, has foster homes in Toronto. I wonder if one of them could guinea sit for you...

You could also check places that board cats. A place where I live says they would board my girls, but they want $10.00 per pig per day. I think this is the biggest stress owning any animal. Who to trust to take care of them. Also, most of us have very large cages which makes it hard to pack and some people may not have room for them. There is also the large amounts of hay and the linen closet full of fleece. If possible it is probably easier to have someone come in to your home. Is there anyone you could switch off pet sitting with? I look after a neighbour's cat in exchange for her coming over to take care of my girls. Good luck, I totally understand the worry this could cause.

Exactly!! I love my guineas and I want to have someone that I can trust to take care of them but, there are just too many things like hay, fleece, etc. Thanks!

You could also check places that board cats. A place where I live says they would board my girls, but they want $10.00 per pig per day. I think this is the biggest stress owning any animal. Who to trust to take care of them. Also, most of us have very large cages which makes it hard to pack and some people may not have room for them. There is also the large amounts of hay and the linen closet full of fleece. If possible it is probably easier to have someone come in to your home. Is there anyone you could switch off pet sitting with? I look after a neighbour's cat in exchange for her coming over to take care of my girls. Good luck, I totally understand the worry this could cause.

When your neighbour took care of your girls, did they help you clean the cage (fleece, poop)? I don't know if I can find someone who is willing to do that...

Where are you located, and how may guineas are there? I am wondering if we could take them; just not sure were we would put them! Another idea: Piggles Rescue, where I got my pair, has foster homes in Toronto. I wonder if one of them could guinea sit for you...

I live in Richmond Hill. I have 2 female guinea pigs.
I'm trying not to let them stay at a vet clinic because it'll be way too expensive and I don't know how well they'll take care of my guineas.

Where is Piggles Rescue?

Piggles is in Unionville, probably very close to you, but she is moving and I don't know her status at the moment. You can contact her via her website (broken link removed)

Piggles is in Unionville, probably very close to you, but she is moving and I don't know her status at the moment. You can contact her via her website (broken link removed)

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. Where are you located? If I can't find someone to take care of my girls, would you be able to? I probably won't be going away until next summer though but I'm trying to plan in advanced so my family can start booking tickets.

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. Where are you located? If I can't find someone to take care of my girls, would you be able to? I probably won't be going away until next summer though but I'm trying to plan in advanced so my family can start booking tickets.
I'm right in Toronto; Dundas and Ossington. Next summer :D! I thought this was last minute emergency! Its possible that we could take your girls for a few weeks; it would be a matter of timing and figuring out where to put your girls.

When your neighbour took care of your girls, did they help you clean the cage (fleece, poop)? I don't know if I can find someone who is willing to do that...

So far I have only had my son and husband look after the girls, but I have set it up with my neighbour that she will come whenever I need her. I typed up a daily cleaning and feeding schedule to follow and give a demo of the procedure. I have also set up my cage to make it easy for someone else to clean it. I have two houses in the cage and put a separate coroplast tray covered with a small towel (I sewed them) and a small fleece under them, so someone could just change those out, without changing all the fleece. I also have two 6" trays along the back wall (56") covered in litter and hay and the girls mostly use it to pee and poo in, so those get dumped once a day and replaced with new ones. The rest of the cage stays pretty clean and just needs a quick sweep and new hay, pellets and water added. I don't know what I would do if I had to go away longer than a week. I have only enough fleece to last a week if they change out the bedroom areas every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.