Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Glitch's medical thread

CCrayon

Cavy Slave
So my now 1 year old guinea pig has started sneezing again...
when we first got her (at 6 weeks which was really too early stupid petshops) she was on deaths door with an awful URI... managed to nurse her out of this with some very strong antibiotics, poor thing...
the sneezing kept coming back every couple of months and my vet kept prescribing antibiotics (luckily the pet shop paid all her bills) I changed her to carefresh bedding which made a big difference, although this could be a coincidence... and we were sneeze free for 3 months or so...
but now shes sneezing again... could it be just dusty hay and not URI's? She doesnt really have any other symptoms accept excessive sneezing and sometimes a bit of a gunky eye, and shes sneezed a little snot onto the vet a few times....
Anyone else have a guinea pig who sneezes a lot? Maybe she just does this?
(theres no air-fresheners or deodorants sprayed in the room.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... ive been lurking on this forum since I first got her and read about URI's hence our first panicked trip to the vet... I thought it was time I stopped lurking and started asking questions....

Thanks

Help! Pink colored Urine!???

I've just watched my 18month old female pee (seems like a strange thing to be doing). I was sitting by her talking to her whilst she was eating hay, and she had a wee but it was pink!

This will sound even weirder, but out of curiosity I put my finger in it to check it wasn't the light and yes it was definitely a pink tinge. But it didnt look like bloody streaks in it, just pinkish wee.
She eating fine with her veg, hay and dried food, I dont see her drink a whole lot, but she hasn't even drunk much water (I always wet her veg a lot). She seems perfectly happy, no discomfort peeing, running around and pop corning happily. Problem is she has carefresh bedding, so I cant tell if there is pink pee anywhere else.
Is this the start of a UTI or worse? She did urinate a couple of times after that in a relatively short span and I can't think if this is normal or not for her. I change her bedding almost ever day and I just checked and the white kitchen roll wasn't any darker than normal. But i guess the carefresh might take a lot of the colour out of the roll.

Could it be what shes been eating? I have recently fed her quite a few strawberry tops as a treat, which had some/quite a lot of the strawberry attached. Might this temporarily give a pink tinge to her pee if she has eaten way too many of them?

Please please reply soon!
Thanks!

Help! Scrap the pink urine, theres definitively blood everywhere!

Please help!!!

So she definitely has a urine infection I think, her sides are tender to touch, and blood EVERYWHERE when she is peeing!!!!!! She's peeing ever minute or so! I've given her some cucumber to keep her hydrated!!!!

Kidneystones or a urinary infection?
Is she going to be okay through the night till the morning when I can get to the vets!????

Please help I need to know what to do! Panicking now!

Re: Help! Scrap the pink urine, theres definitively blood everywhere!

Can you get her to the vet now?

If the vet is open call and say that you have an Emergency.Describe your problem.air the vet isn't there try very hard to either get the vet to come in and help your pig or try to find a new vet very quickly.Best of luck.Hope your pig will be ok.

Call around and see if you have an emergency vet in your area.

Did this just start today?Does she seem to be in any pain?

Please get this Pig into an emergency vet ASAP. In most cases you can find a small-animal-friendly location within an hour or so of you.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Its 23:40 here in England so a little late even for an emergancy vet to do anything. I was away for 1 and a half days (typical when something has to go wrong) but my flatmate adores her and spent time with her and she didnt notice anything until I did. Started a couple of hours ago, as far as we can tell! Will she be okay until the morning? Is there anything I can do?

She is eating everything fine. Munching on hay and loving the veggies. She never usually drinks much anyway, I think its because I wet her veg first. She doesnt seem to be in any pain, no squeaking when she pees. She's been running round like crazy and popcorning this evening and having a great time. She just suddenly started peeing pink, then it got darker, and now its pretty frequent and really red!!!!

Re: Help! Pink colored Urine!???

There's really nothing you can do at this point. Get her to a vet first thing in the morning. Tell them it's an emergency and you need to get in right away. Don't wait.

Thanks Paula, what sort of damage can having a bad UTI leave a piggy with? and what are the chances of recovering from it? I'm hoping so much its not kidney stones, she's only a year and a half old!
Guess I'm just going to have to wait 10hours till the vet opens and rush her in. They are usually really good and will see us straight away!

Less then 10 I would say. My vet open at 7am. If you vet doesn't open until 10 I say look around for another that opens earlier in the morning.

the Vet opened at 9.30 and she got the first appt :) after a couple of injections, some pain relief and some antibiotics, she'll be fine I think. The vet gave me some Baytril for 2 weeks, so she should be ok. Currently snuggling in one of the corners of my room in a fleece happy. She seems much better. Thanks everyone for the help, I was kinda panicking a little, but I guess guinea pigs are a bit more resilient than we think. She took a lovely big chunk out of the vets hand to prove she was not impressed with the injections. Going to see if I can get her to eat a dried cranberry to prevent this happening again. Fingers crossed it will all be cleared up in a weeks time!

Really glad she did ok through the night, I was thinking of you as I went to bed. Hope she recovers quickly.

@CCrayon

Thanks so much for keeping us posted.

You are one of the few people that are able to take the advice and help themselves to it on these forums. :)

Kudos to you!
:D

What tests did they do? UA? Xray? Culture?

What is the diagnosis?

Have I fed her too much veg?

Hi everyone,

okay, so about 4 days ago I could hear Glitchs tummy grumbling and squeeking, and I thought... oops she hasn't had grass in a while and I just gave her loads, and I might have fed her too many runny green vegetables....

So i cut out the veg for a few days and the grass, just giving her the vitamin tablets the vet recommended and that she LOVES so she had enough vitC, she usually has 1/4 a day but I gave her half this time to make up for the lack of fresh veggies.

Then 2 days ago, no more grumbling so I started her off on some small pieces of veg etc. This morning I awake though to more tummy growling and now she is having soft poops, and hard ones that are teardropped shaped.
What should I do? Should I cut the veg out again? (I hate doing this she looks at me with such upset)

She's just hiding in her house, I gave her tummy a massage, she didnt seem particularily bloated. I got her to run around a bit, and there is tons and tons of fresh hay for her to eat and she has access to normal dried food all the time.... which she is eating fine. Non of this has changed. She is also drinking normally too....

So just cut out the veg and see what happens? Or is there more I should do?

Thanks

Re: Have I fed her too much veg?

What kind and how much of each veggie were you feeding per day?

Re: Have I fed her too much veg?

she gets a bit of everything tbh, before this happened and when I reintroduced food she's had cucumber, 1 slice a day (she loves i though), some chunks of carrot (that she never eats), and a slice of pepper that as usual she didn't touch. Some tares of curly kale, couple of basil leaves, cauliflower top (tiny piece and she only had a nibble anyway), a couple of strawberry tops, some baby spinach (actually quite a lot of this, which im thinking might be the problem?), baby sweetcorn.... uurrrr I cant think of anything else. She usually (when not having a grumbly tummy) has a little bit of all of these a day, or a variation of it... she's also enjoyed some grass recently from the garden (not sprayed with anything) .... she usually gets a nice bowl full of veg twice a day.... and I bin the stuff she doesnt eat at the end of the day...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.