Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Giving Quee her first bath

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I know guinea pigs (at least the short-haired ones) don't really need regular bathing, as they are capable of self-grooming. That said, Quee smells kinda funny, and I'm fairly certain she's never had a bath in her 4 or 5 years. The cage itself is kept pretty tidy, and Kwee never really smells like anything.

So, we'd like to give Quee a bath and hopefully help her smell less like a...well, pig. lol

Our apartment has a basic shower/bathtub with both a regular faucet and showerhead, and a stoppable drain. What's a good water temperature for bathing a pig? Is what's comfortable for us fine for them, or should it be cooler or warmer, and is it better to run the water directly over them or just fill it up first? Any particular kind of shampoo or soap, or is plain white bar soap usable? As for drying, should we just towel her off or use a blow drier? Does she have to be completely 100% dry before going back in the cage?

I want her to be clean, but I also don't want her to melt or freeze to death. ;)

On that note, would it be best to bathe Kwee while we're at it? Would the sudden difference in scents throw them off or something?

Bathing your pig isn't necessary and can end up drying out her skin if done too often.

If she does have a smell to her and you feel like bathing will help, don't do it in the bathtub. Use the sink or a shallow bucket. Fill it with only an inch or so of luke warm water. It should be cooler than what we feel would be comfortable for us.

Do not use human shampoo as it's too harsh. Even baby shampoo would not be appropriate. Use kitten shampoo or small animal bunny shampoo.

Do not get water on the face or in the ears. This can cause BIG problems .

Make sure she is 100% dry before going back in the cage. A draft while damp can end up causing issues.

I use a small tub to bath my pigs in, and set it inside the bathtub. This way if someone decides to jump out they won't come crashing to the ground and break a leg. My pigs are very squirmy so I hold them with my left hand and do everything else with my right hand. It's hard but I don't want any one to get hurt or get their heads wet.
If it's warm out, I keep them wrapped up in a towel and hand dry them, then they go back in the cage. Sometimes I will blow dry, but make sure it's not too hot and keep your hand between you and the pig to make sure the piggie doesn't get hot or burn.
I clean their ears after the bath, and then wipe their faces with a damp cloth.

I use a large plastic bowl I place in my tub to bath mine. I only fill it with about 2" water and only bathe their bodies. I use a cloth, dampened with water, to wipe their eyes, ears and nose. I prefer to keep them on the ground level so they don't jump out. I have a second bowl filled with water that I dip into to rinse them. I take them out of the bowl and let them loose in the tub as I do the rinsing and never pour any water on their heads. I towel dry them and always blow dry them on low setting. One time I put one back in her cage when she was damp and she was still damp the next day so I always thoroughly dry them now.

Bathing your pig isn't necessary and can end up drying out her skin if done too often.
I think once in four to five years isn't "too often". lol

So...bucket or small tub, lukewarm/cooler than human shower temperature, kitten or bunny shampoo, avoid the face, dry completely. Thanks for the help, everyone.

You could also try just a washcloth moistened with a bit of animal shampoo soapy water. Just wipe her down and then wipe with a clean wet cloth. That way you don't have to do the whole thing!
We did this almost 3X per day when we were raising a litter of kittens..they are very messy eaters!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.