Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Girl Guinea Pigs Fight

RunningWolfPro

Cavy Slave
My sister got a guinea pig for her birthday, named Mary.After we would hang out with our piggies and they would always try to mate so we stopped, they would coo to each other and doing that mating dance and hump. (they are definetly females).A few months later; she doesn't want the pig. I offered to take it because I actually take care of mine (named Adeline) daily, so I was like, "Sure if they can stay in the same cage" because I've had multiples and it was a chore having to clean two or three cages every week.I put them together in Adeline's cage (I know, kinda stupid. I wasn't thinking, I guess). They were fine, Mary was exploring the new territory, while Adeline just followed her around. They were making happy noises. I think Mary must have touched something Adeline didn't want her too, and a small fight broke out. It was more of a scuffle. I easily grabbed both of them, no fur was torn out, no blood was drawn, or scratches on either of them. Right after, they began making those weird teeth angry grinding noises and Adeline puffed her fur up. I let her in her cage and put Mary in hers.I was wondering if there is any way I can have them get used to each other, or if I should just leave them alone.Thank you! :)

Introduce them in neutral territory with a neutral scent. Lay some sheets out on the floor with plenty of room, and let them work it out. Some squabbling is normal as long as they don't actually draw blood or rip out fur. It's just part of establishing dominance.

Leave them alone unless blood is shed. Then you may need to separate them. Also, you say they "were trying to mate" If they are both females, this isn't mating. It is them working out dominance. The "humping" is called mounting, and happens regularly when trying to see who's boss. ;)

May I ask a few things:

Have you sexed both Guinea Pigs yourself?

How big of a cage do they have?
__

From now on, don't grab them when they get into a fight. It is natural, and it will only hurt the problem (and you, perhaps) if you try and break it up. I know it's hard, but just sit back and monitor them. As long as no blood is shed, you should be fine.

__

:)

I just put them outside and they ate the grass in their own "corners" but then Adeline decided she wanted the grass that Mary was on, so she kept pushing her from underneath and would start eating, and she got frustrated and kinda nipped at her and then they both stood still and showed their teeth at one another, and another fight broke out.
I think it's mostly over food that they fight.
The cage is 28 by 16.

The cage is 28 by 16.

That cage isn't even big enough for a baby pig, let alone two full sized females. Do not put them together in a cage that size.

When you had them outside on grass, how big was the enclosure?

Have you looked at the first page of this website?
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

It shows the cage size standards. Your cage is barely over 3 square feet. The smallest size recommended for one pig is 7.5 square feet.

My advice to you is to make a nice big cage, a 2x4 C&C Cage. Read the page on introductions--

Guinea Pigs Social Life

Then you can attempt to introduce them again, following the guidelines there.

I just put them outside and they ate the grass in their own "corners" but then Adeline decided she wanted the grass that Mary was on, so she kept pushing her from underneath and would start eating, and she got frustrated and kinda nipped at her and then they both stood still and showed their teeth at one another, and another fight broke out.
I think it's mostly over food that they fight.
The cage is 28 by 16.

28x16 is too small for 2 Piggies. The minimum is 10.5 square feet. 2x4 in grids. That is probably why they fight. I am assuming you have a store bought cage?

The cage is 28 by 16.
28 by 16 inches? If so, that is extremely small for even one guinea pig, let alone two. No wonder they weren't getting along, they'd be fighting for breathing room!

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

The guidelines there recommend a minimum of 7 and a half square feet for a single pig, which is around 27 by 41 inches. That's for ONE pig. For two, it comes out to 10 and a half square feet, 27 by 56 inches using the standard C&C grids as measurement units.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.