Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ginger is B-O-R-E-D!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
What do I do for floor time? Ginger just sits there the entire time. But she isn't just lazy, she runs around her cage sometimes. What should I do?

Maybe hide some of her favorite veggies around the pen? I found this works great for my pigs, at first they wanted nothing to do with floor time, and just sat on my lap the whole time. Then I took some veggies and hide them in and around stuff, and they loved it! It was like a treasure hunt.

lol Thanks! I will do this! Do you just give them their daily portion of veggies then?

Any more suggestions?

Bumping this thread...

Yep, or some special treats, like something they can only have once a week or month. It also may not be that she is bored, maybe she is scared. Where do you have her floor time? You might want to try and keep it away from any loud noises or things that can scare her until she gets used to being out of her cage sometimes.

I have a bunch of tunnels out during floor time. My pigs are crazy and love doing zoomies through tunnels. They also love hideys made from cardboard boxes.

Here is what i do during my piggies floor time. I block off my hallway for my piggies floor time...then i will lay sheets down to protect my carpet. I cut opening in cardboard boxes so my piggies can travel through or hide under...I have a total of 4 boxes that i lay down (each box has a opening on each side, so they have many ways to exit the box), they also have their 2 igloos and what i will do is space the boxes/igloos in different areas, but close enough that i can drape a sheet over them all...I pretty much am making them a play tent. I will make sure that their is a opening with the sheet on each end of the tent, so they can get out when they want. My piggies LOVE running through the boxes and under the sheet. It's funny watching the sheet pop up because they are running and jumping underneath it. They will actually play follow the leader through the tent maze..LOL !! Each day i will change the boxes around, so they won't get bored with them being in the same spot. Plus i will hide fresh grass in differ spots for them to find. Plus with the sheet being over their boxes it helped my Coconut get out of her shyness ...she will now run and play with the others.
I still make sure that i have a area to where i can sit or lay with them during floor time, so they can get use to me being around. My girls love when i change things up....to them it's like a new place to explore.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Ginger is B-O-R-E-D!this is my 3 lil girls.

Do u just have the one lil piggy???

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

@southernfury, yes, just the one pig.

I know you might nightbwant to here this, but i thik your little girl is lonely. My pig is so much happier with a friend.

Tunnels, veggies, treats, my pigs love them all!! My pigs also enjoy balls of fleece. They run in and out of them, ley down and run back up again. Tons of popcorns with fleece.

I've heard it many times before. I know that she needs a friend, and I am trying desperately to get her one. But my Dad keeps saying no. I don't know how to change his mind :sad:.

Will he possibly read the "social life" information here? That way, he's getting an objective opinion from a knowledgable source.

A friend would probably do wonders for Ginger. Even though Borat and Amy can't be fully together until he's neutered, I have them in a huge pen with a center divider for floor time and they love running back and forth together, checking each other out, and "talking" in the cutest little wheeks and mumbles.

I showed it to him, it's done no good. :( My friend had 1 pig and got her a friend about a month ago. I try to tell him about how much she has changed and he just won't have it. :sad:, I've read to him all existing web pages about guinea pigs needing friends, and given a real-life example, but it's still a no-go.

i let my piggie just run around my room and he has SO much fun, i have wood floor so if he pees i just clean right away ( i do have 2 hidden spots where he peed and i didnt see because its behind my desk and my bookshelf, so there is a small stain but nobody can see it anyway;)) and he runs under my chair, jumps on to my lap, the jumps off and runs behind a little sort of locker and then goes under my desk and on and on. maybe try letting her out in a place where shes never been? hope it helps!

We just got hardwood floors, but I will still be using Uhaul pad for floor time. I'm going to zip tie a bunch of grids together soon for her space.

My girls don't seem to enjoy floor time at all. They have plenty of room to run around but choose to do nothing but sit in a hidey or maybe eat some hay, just like they do in their cage. I think they are just couch potatoes, or hidey potatoes in their case.

Maybe if your friend has same sex guinea pigs you all can have some playdates?

I've thought of that, but someone on here told me not to because they would have to go through dominance again every time they met and it would get stressful.

I would get a wooden brick, the kind with holes through the middle. Then I would stuff it full of treats like her fave veggies/fruits. Or buy one of those wooden log tunnels (I use the rabbit size) and put raspberries on top. Or teach her a trick, like 'come when called'.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.