Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Gimbly's bumblefoot history

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Gimbly has been euthanized.

Woke up to him being very puffy, wouldn't eat, drooling badly and looking like he felt very unwell. Was fine last nite. Vet says GVD. Went to our vet at 8am, Xrays showed severely bloated tummy, gastric stasis, was spitting up fluid and had a lot of fluid in his nasal cavity. Could have done surgery but vet didn't think he'd survive. I feel so lost.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to read that Gimbly has gone over the rainbow bridge. You took such good care of him and did all you could to give him a healthy and wonderful life.

Give yourself time to grief.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Gimbly has been euthanized.

Woke up to him being very puffy, wouldn't eat, drooling badly and looking like he felt very unwell. Was fine last nite. Vet says GVD. Went to our vet at 8am, Xrays showed severely bloated tummy, gastric stasis, was spitting up fluid and had a lot of fluid in his nasal cavity. Could have done surgery but vet didn't think he'd survive. I feel so lost.

Have not been doing well today. Maple Leaf didn't go to the vet with us, since I didn't know if Gimbly was contagious. Maple Leaf has no idea Gimbly is gone. He's a completely different pig - hiding, not really eating, will not come beg for treats. I have moved all food to where he is hiding. He has eaten some veggies and I made him critical care. I've been googling for critters for adoption and trying to decide what to do, since I don't his crazy puberty hormones to make bonding difficult.

There was really nothing we could do for Gimbly. He had been puffed up from time to time but I never thought much of it because he was normal otherwise. This morning he was so puffy and on a whim I decided to just take him out of the cage. His mouth/chin was completely drenched with drool. He was sneezing but no discharge so I thought maybe a URI. He was retching too. His eyes were so dull. He ate a little of a treat but wasn't really interested. There was also a bit of diarrhea, which I saw yesterday too but figured it was from veggies as that happens w/ him.

I held him for a while, debating what to do because I had an interview this morning. I finally called my vet at 7.30am and decided to just go in for an emergency appt. Vet was really surprised at his condition. Asked if he'd gotten into anything, etc but nothing. She said he sounded horrible, and with everything I listed before. She thought maybe there was a respiratory issue, so I decided to do xrays and hospitalize him. It was going to cost a pretty penny that I just don't have, but I said I would do it anyway. I would do anything to pay that $1000 and have Gimbly live...the doctor came to sohw me the xrays and his tummy was essentially a balloon, explained her suspicions and that guinea pigs are usually dead from this quickly. Mortality rate of like 75%. Could try surgery for up to 3k, and I debated it for a time, but she didn't think he'd make it. I sat in the room and held him on my lap, and he was so quiet. I've had plenty of other things happen with guinea pigs but never just a sudden illness like this. I feel so badly for Gimbly, and for Maple Leaf too.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh.

I just got home to read this and it hit me like a ton of bricks. This was the last thing I expected to read. I can only imagine how you feel.

I am so very, very sorry. Its a bit easier (if you can really call it easier) when you know they are seriously ill and when you know it's coming. But out of the blue from left field is just........so damaging. Cruel. No other way to describe it.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. You and Maple Leaf are in our thoughts tonight.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Just getting caught up with posts and I saw this. I'm so sorry about Gimbly. You take such good care of your guinea pigs, and you did everything to help him live a good life. I think it's especially difficult to lose a little one that has needed extra care from time to time - I know that's how I feel. Take care of yourself.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
It has still been hard. Altho Maple Leaf has his new buddy and is relatively back to normal, I have still been down. Gimbly's ashes came back today also.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's hard. Personally, I have never gotten over losing any of my boys and I don't expect I ever will. I just have to go one day at a time.

The saying time heals all wounds is baloney. It just gives you the space to bury the pain, if you can.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree with Guinea Pig Papa that time does not heal all wounds. In my experience, we just learn how to live with the loss. But time does seem to make it easier to recall good memories and even share them without as much sadness.

I'm sorry you're going through this, 4boipigs. I hope each day you have more good feelings than sad ones.