Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Gidget is rumbling quite a bit....

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, Gidget is rumble strutting dance a lot. Will this effect Gemini negatively with her personality and will it ever stop.

Have you just introduced them? How long have they been in the same cage? If they have just been introduced, this is very normal, and will stop once they have figured out who is top dog (Guinea pig) The only reason you should separate them is if you see it go from just rumble strutting as a show of who is boss, to actual fighting, other then that it is totally fine.

How old is she? How old is Gemini? And how large is the cage?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Gidget is rumbling quite a bit.... This is cage 2x5. Gidget is 6 months and Gemini is 3 months. I got gemini last wednesday. There is no sign of fighting at all other than the occasional squabble over a snuggle sack and even then Gemini backed off. I just dont want her to hide all the time because gidget thinks she is queen of the castle. Gemini is fine eating drinking poos look good. she does come out and run around because Gidget could not make all that poo by herself. I was just did not know if this will cause issues if Gemini is just a laid back piggie.

Gidget does it mainly under the cabana beds as this is where Gemini likes to hide out. Not in the cabana beds but under them. Should I lower the beds to the ground.

I love the cabana beds. You can put them wherever you want them.

I wouldn't worry about the rumbling -- Gemini has plenty of room to get away. Just weigh her regularly to make sure she's getting her share of the food.

Okay, that was my next question, should I have two food bowls and two water bottles.

Yep :) Makes it more easy for each pig to get their food and water, without one pig not letting the other eat which I've been going through with Fus, Ro Dah, Phoenix, And Godric.

Okay thanks a Bunch.

My 2 are 2months (Bella) & 2 1/2 months (Clover). They have been together since Bella was born. I have had them about a month now. Clover is clearly the more dominate one & rumbles quite a bit. Many times she will come out of her house rumbling & moving really slow...like a crocodile. It is absolutely hilarious. She will "goose" Bella to get her out of the way & will normally chase her out of what she assumes is HER house. Other than that they get along great & I attribute it to sisterly behavior!

Thanks for sharing. I lowered the cabana beds to the floor to get Gemini to find a new place to hang out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.