Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Getting Fosters! :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So I finally found some pigs to foster which is great! From what I know they are in sorta a semi-urgent situation, and from the way the women spoke, I don't think they even have any hay. :( They are a group of three Teddy females. Only downside, is that money has gotten much tighter since I starting looking for a few pigs to foster, so I don't know how I'm going to get through any vet bills should they arise, and I already said I would take them. Though don't get me wrong, if one of the pigs get sick they will be taken to the vet even if I didn't have the money. ;)

I've already started on the cage, and have the extra accessories to add into it. :D That's all the info I have at the moment, though later I'm sure there will be more, and also some questions. In the meantime, here is the one pigture she sent me of two of the three pigs I will be getting, they are just too cute for words!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Getting Fosters! :)

toooooo cute! :) I love teddys

They are super cute!! I'm glad you're taking them in :)

If I was there, I'd adopt them.... I LOVE teddies......

Teddies are awesome, :cheerful: My first two pigs Godric and Phoenix were teddies.

Congrats on the new pigs! When do you get them?

Not sure, I'm still working out the final details with her, like where we will meet (Of course a populated place) Though I think it will be soon, since she really needs to get rid of these pigs.

Well, that totally fell through. :( She wasn't very willing to find a time and date that would work for both of us. So I moved on to other craigslist ads, and found what seems to be a very nice couple looking to give away their son's guinea pig after taking care of her for a year after the kid got bored.

Aww, that stinks! At least you found another one. Are you thinking of fostering him a friend too?

Not sure at the moment, as that would mean that I would have to have pigs in three different rooms, since both would have to be quarantined and be in different rooms from each other (Plus I have my own three pigs, hence three different rooms, my pigs, foster pig number one, foster pig number two) I think that I may just foster her alone, but make sure she goes to a home that has one other pig or more of course. Though again nothing is set in stone.

I've also had a lot of fun creating the foster pig cage, I made it so that it can be folded up when I don't have fosters, and stored in a closet, and can also easily change shapes to fit the space I will be putting them in. It also has a see through top, so that just in case one of the cats somehow got up on the table, they would still be protected, and I can also see them very well. They will also be in the family room so that I can easily spot any signs of sickness.

Yay it's confirmed! I'll be getting the pig today at 8:30, they seem to really want to rush her out, they didn't ask me any questions, and they just emailed me this morning asking to meet today. I feel bad for her, because they don't even have any toys for her, just a bag of food (I'm guessing some nasty seed filled pellets, so they'll just go to the birds) a bag of bedding, and the cage, which they said is everything they have for her so the'll just give it to me. They weren't 100% sure what her gender was, so I gave them a link to the cavy spirit bit on how to tell the gender, and they say they check and she is for sure a girl, though I will make sure to triple check once she gets here. I also found out that her name is Derek (Son named her, and refuses to think she is a girl, so the name will have to change xD) and she is a tortoise shell and white.

Are you fostering or adopting?

Fostering, I'm most likely not going to be getting any more pigs at the moment, because I think three is a good number, but I thought it would be fun to at least foster some pigs and find them good homes. Plus if I do end up wanting to add more pigs to my herd, fostering would be a good way to find the perfect one. I am prepared for foster failure though. lol

Fostering, I'm most likely not going to be getting any more pigs at the moment, because I think three is a good number, but I thought it would be fun to at least foster some pigs and find them good homes. Plus if I do end up wanting to add more pigs to my herd, fostering would be a good way to find the perfect one. I am prepared for foster failure though. lol

Are you fostering for a rescue or shelter?

No, just craigslist pigs that are in need of asap homes.

No, just craigslist pigs that are in need of asap homes.

It sounds more like you're adopting and rehoming. If you foster, the rescue or shelter still owns them but you're caring for them until they're placed. The adoption fee goes to the shelter or rescue. You become sort of a middleman who allows the rescue or shelter to take in more pigs. You don't pay for medical care for them; the rescue or shelter does. You provide food and shelter.

I wasn't really sure how to put it, I just guessed that calling it fostering would be the closest. "Adopting and Re homing" Just kinda makes it sound like I'm doing a bad thing. xD

Yay! Only one more hour! Don't forget pigtures!

Ah I can't wait! xD Don't worry about the pigtures, if anything there will be way to many of them xD

I wasn't really sure how to put it, I just guessed that calling it fostering would be the closest. "Adopting and Re homing" Just kinda makes it sound like I'm doing a bad thing. xD

No, it's not a bad thing you're doing. You're doing a great thing. I think a better way to call what you're doing is "rescuing and rehoming" because you're not the middleman. A lot of rescuers scout the craigslist ads to save animals that are in a bad situation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.