Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Getting back into Guinea Pigs

GhostedxNova

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I've had 2 boars that I had to rehome back in 2016 due to moving and I've started to want another guinea pig in my life. I'm hyper fixated on wanting a skinny pig but understandable they're quite a rarity in my area and my local pet shop has one in their store currently(unless that one has been sold). I've been looking at shelters and rescues and I have to bite the bullet and understand that I can't get the skinny pig that I desire.

Anyways, I'm reaching out to ask if there has been any changes in basic guinea pig love and care since 2016. I have a midwest cage with fleece bedding in the back of my car. Here's the list in no particular order:
- Can they drink from a bowl or do they have to drink from a bottle
- Unlimited pellets or do I need to limit them daily?
- Vitamin C suggestions(I know bell peppers and a few other veggies have Vitamin C but is there anything else I can offer like the oxbow treats)
- Cleaning suggestions, my 2 boars stunk badly and I do not want to have a repeat of that since it really messed with my health.(I am planning on getting females if possible)
- Is it possible to have a solo piggy and keep them happy. YES I know you need 2 because they are social but I am asking out of curiosity.

I have rabbits currently and they eat oxbow simple harvest(it is not dietary to any small animal) and have 2nd cut timothy hay that I plan to share with the piggies.

Congratulations on your new future Guinea pigs! The cage you have sounds good, but if you are able to purchase a second Midwest to add on, that would be even better. I’ve found it easier for cleaning to remove one or two of the grids during assembly and making it one big cage without the divider. There are some tutorials online.
As for the water, bowls can work but I prefer bottles as they typically won’t spill. I like offering both to new guinea pigs to see which they prefer but that isn’t essential, most can adapt to either. If they’re under six months, unlimited pellets made for baby guinea pigs will help them grow up well. After six months, around 1/8 cup each per day is better unless they’re underweight. I use the Oxbow C tablets with my guinea pigs and find they enjoy them and I don’t worry as much with them so I do recommend those.
I have found that boars smell more than sows do so having sows will probably help a lot. I use a small dustpan and brush for spot cleaning, use an absorbent layer under the fleece (I like towels but I’ve heard people like using dog pee pads too), and using vinegar in addition to a guinea pig safe detergent when washing the fleece.
As for your question about a solo piggy, I personally think this depends on the pig. I’ve seen some guinea pigs that act so aggressively to cage mates that they can’t even live next to another guinea pig, and seen others that can’t stand to be alone even if their cage mate is just getting a health check a few feet away. Part of the reason why it’s so important to have more than one piggy is because it’s impossible to know what their personalities are or why they may be fighting based on what someone else says and having one of those super social guinea pigs forced to live in isolation because they were bickering over space in a small cage is one of the worst things to see.
Best of luck with your future Guinea pigs and I hope this was helpful.

Congratulations on your new future Guinea pigs! The cage you have sounds good, but if you are able to purchase a second Midwest to add on, that would be even better. I’ve found it easier for cleaning to remove one or two of the grids during assembly and making it one big cage without the divider. There are some tutorials online.
As for the water, bowls can work but I prefer bottles as they typically won’t spill. I like offering both to new guinea pigs to see which they prefer but that isn’t essential, most can adapt to either. If they’re under six months, unlimited pellets made for baby guinea pigs will help them grow up well. After six months, around 1/8 cup each per day is better unless they’re underweight. I use the Oxbow C tablets with my guinea pigs and find they enjoy them and I don’t worry as much with them so I do recommend those.
I have found that boars smell more than sows do so having sows will probably help a lot. I use a small dustpan and brush for spot cleaning, use an absorbent layer under the fleece (I like towels but I’ve heard people like using dog pee pads too), and using vinegar in addition to a guinea pig safe detergent when washing the fleece.
As for your question about a solo piggy, I personally think this depends on the pig. I’ve seen some guinea pigs that act so aggressively to cage mates that they can’t even live next to another guinea pig, and seen others that can’t stand to be alone even if their cage mate is just getting a health check a few feet away. Part of the reason why it’s so important to have more than one piggy is because it’s impossible to know what their personalities are or why they may be fighting based on what someone else says and having one of those super social guinea pigs forced to live in isolation because they were bickering over space in a small cage is one of the worst things to see.
Best of luck with your future Guinea pigs and I hope this was helpful.
Thanks! Here's to hoping that I can get them in the future otherwise I'll donate the items to a rescue if I don't see it as something I'll do.