Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting A Rabbit

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I have read that rabbits and young children do not mix

"Contrary to Easter-time hype, rabbits are rarely a good choice for a small child (younger than 7 yrs.). The natural exuberance, rambunctiousness, and decibel-level of the average toddler is stressful for most rabbits. Children want a companion they can hold and cuddle; Rabbits need someone who understands that they are ground-loving creatures."
(quote taken from rabbit.org (broken link removed))

I have two rabbits who do not like loud noises, I can't imagine them being in a room with pre-scool children all day.
other good rabbit links (broken link removed)

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
You said the sunroom was the only place they could keep the rabbit. Where do they live? Does the sunroom have air conditioning? You should read this https://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html It has information about heat and rabbits. A rabbit can not withstand temperatures greater than 78 degrees. I would say any hotter than about 75 degrees and the animal should be in a location with air conditioning.

In addition, Rabbits, like guinea pigs prefer the companionship of another rabbit https://rabbit.org/journal/3-8/rabbits-in-the-plural.html

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Furkidsmommy said:
You said the sunroom was the only place they could keep the rabbit. Where do they live? Does the sunroom have air conditioning? You should read this https://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/indoorbun.html It has information about heat and rabbits. A rabbit can not withstand temperatures greater than 78 degrees. I would say any hotter than about 75 degrees and the animal should be in a location with air conditioning.

In addition, Rabbits, like guinea pigs prefer the companionship of another rabbit [url="https://rabbit.org/journal/3-8/rabbits-in-the-plural.html"]https://rabbit.org/journal/3-8/rabbits-in-the-plural.html[/url]

They live in Oregon (same as where I live) and yes they have air conditioning in the sun room. But it certainly doesn't stay as cool as the house. Hmm maybe a rabbit isn't for them then, I don't think they want to get two. And obviuosly they can't change the age of their kids. I was hoping that if the bunny grew up with the kids from a young age it would adapt to having the kids around....

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
They live in Oregon (same as where I live) and yes they have air conditioning in the sun room. But it certainly doesn't stay as cool as the house. Hmm maybe a rabbit isn't for them then, I don't think they want to get two. And obviuosly they can't change the age of their kids. I was hoping that if the bunny grew up with the kids from a young age it would adapt to having the kids around....
Would they consider guinea pigs instead? Guinea pigs are probably more tolerant to being cuddled than rabbits, but they would still have to make sure their kids are gentle and handle them only with supervision.

Maybe they could wait until the kids are a little older before adopting a rabbit.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
Would they consider guinea pigs instead? Guinea pigs are probably more tolerant to being cuddled than rabbits, but they would still have to make sure their kids are gentle and handle them only with supervision.

Maybe they could wait until the kids are a little older before adopting a rabbit.
No personally I don't think guinea pigs are right for them either. I mean I don't think guinea pigs should live in a sun room. And now that I think about it neither should bunnies..... Hmmmm maybe they should just stick to fish................
And I have had bad experiences with what happens if someone has young kids and they take a piggy home......

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
No personally I don't think guinea pigs are right for them either. I mean I don't think guinea pigs should live in a sun room. And now that I think about it neither should bunnies..... Hmmmm maybe they should just stick to fish................
And I have had bad experiences with what happens if someone has young kids and they take a piggy home......
I have seen pets in nursing homes before, why can't they have pets inside?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
I have seen pets in nursing homes before, why can't they have pets inside?

Because they aren't a nursing home, a nursing home is facility where the residents have room where they eat, where they can watch tv etc. But a foster home is a place where a family takes in adults, children, or old people and takes care of them. They can't have a pet inside because the pet would be too near where the old people eat, and sleep etc.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
Because they aren't a nursing home, a nursing home is facility where the residents have room where they eat, where they can watch tv etc. But a foster home is a place where a family takes in adults, children, or old people and takes care of them. They can't have a pet inside because the pet would be too near where the old people eat, and sleep etc.

Sorry I need to add to my post a foster home is actually in a home where people live not like a nursing home where a nusing home is a building built especially for old folks. There are rules when you run a foster home.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.