Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Getting a new bunny, & I need some information.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I will be getting one of my bunnies from a cousin of mine. She wasn't very smart and got her bunnies from someone on cragslist. They told her she had two females, well they lied. 6 months later she is now stuck with babies. I think there some kind of lop breed, quite large. After telling her I'd take in one, I started looking for a cage. I don't want an outdoor cage, as I'd like them to be indoors. After finding no suitable cages for a large rabbit (her female is 11lbs) I found C & C cages. I was hoping this forum could give me some guidance on what not to do/what to do. I am planning on building this cage : How To Build an Indoor Bunny Cage but 4 cubes up with a lid. It will also be 4 long instead, with 4 levels. For now, that it is a baby I won't be adding the 4 stories until she is litter trained. I already have found my supplies. Cubes: Stor Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Storage Hooks (x2) the base will be heavy duty cardboard with shower curtain. Later on I will be getting coroplast if all goes well. the levels I will be using these dowels: 3 ft. x 1 in. American Basswood Square Dowel-8316U at The Home Depot with this plywood:7/16 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Pine Oriented Strand Board Plywood-151114 at The Home Depot
I will be using fleece, for the litter box I am going to be using the bottom of a store bought cage filled with hay/wood pellets (which type? I've heard they work really good) with a hay rack made of a cube. The food dish will be either: (broken link removed) (carrot or cabbage which is more suitable for one bunny?) or (broken link removed) (which would be best?) Not sure on brand of pellets most likely getting them from (broken link removed) don't worry about the hay, my dad is a farmer & I will have tons of timothy/grass hay for her. The water bottle will most likely be either (broken link removed) (not sure, it's quite big but leaks even when I do the vacuum suction I have three of these) or (broken link removed) (large) I absolutely love these (broken link removed) so I will be getting one of those. So anyway, is there anything else I need? I have the cardboard & the shower curtain (hot pink) I also have these that I ordered (broken link removed) (hot pink) as well as lots of cable ties. The theme will be hot pink. The fabric is pink, white & black cheetah. If you have noticed I love pink & black, my whole room is that color. Including my neon pink walls :3 so it will all match.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
I found the fabric I ordered: (broken link removed) I have just enough to fit a 2 x 4

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
I'm actually going to be getting these (broken link removed) for food & a water catcher (with bottle)

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you have almost everything covered. For pellets, though, PetSmart brand probably won't be the best to get. As you are in the US, I can't really help with the best brands. Hopefully someone else can.
I would also be careful with the plastic bowls. Even if they are attached to the grids, she might still be able to pull them off. When we had plastic bowls, our buns even managed to chew tiny pieces off. Your bun might not, but my personal preference is ceramic crocks.
I love your cage theme! Those cage door latches look like exactly the kind of thing we need to close the doors of our buns new C&C!
When you get your rabbit, please show us all her and her new cage! Good luck. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I googled kms rabbit pellets and a post stated they did not make them but the best high quality rabbit pellets are by Oxbow or sweet meadows, it seems a reasonable price too. Don't get thrown off by shipping a large bag. I thought about that yesterday when I ordered 25 lbs of kms timothy pellets from kms, shipping cost more than the pellets but over all I saved money by adding what I would pay for the same amount in bags from petsmart.

(broken link removed)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
In my experience, it is far easier to rabbit proof a house than it is to build a cage strong enough to hold/challenge a bunny. Neither of my rex buns respect fencing. They both will just go where they please.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. Once I get home I will reply to you. I considered letting her go free range but I have 3 dogs & they are allowed in and out. It would also be hard to section off the doors as they are connected to the living & dining room which are very open. I thought about letting her around my room but it has tv's, desktop comp., & tons of cords and there are no possible ways of getting those off the ground. I will be taking her out for outside play time. I'm hoping to grown a large bin of grass so I can put that in her cage.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
As long as she gets plenty of floor time, not having her free range shouldn't be a problem. But, by a lot of floor time, I mean 5+ hours a day. She'll need an awful lot of exercise. :)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
I should be able to do that. I can corner off a section of the kitchen. How big would this need to be? Not sure what I can use, maybe an x pen

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you have almost everything covered. For pellets, though, PetSmart brand probably won't be the best to get. As you are in the US, I can't really help with the best brands. Hopefully someone else can.
I would also be careful with the plastic bowls. Even if they are attached to the grids, she might still be able to pull them off. When we had plastic bowls, our buns even managed to chew tiny pieces off. Your bun might not, but my personal preference is ceramic crocks.
I love your cage theme! Those cage door latches look like exactly the kind of thing we need to close the doors of our buns new C&C!
When you get your rabbit, please show us all her and her new cage! Good luck. :)

Thank you, I to like the ceramic bowls but am not completely sure on what I will be using. Don't worry, I'll post pictures once I get the stuff :)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
I googled kms rabbit pellets and a post stated they did not make them but the best high quality rabbit pellets are by Oxbow or sweet meadows, it seems a reasonable price too. Don't get thrown off by shipping a large bag. I thought about that yesterday when I ordered 25 lbs of kms timothy pellets from kms, shipping cost more than the pellets but over all I saved money by adding what I would pay for the same amount in bags from petsmart.

(broken link removed)

Thank you! I will defiantly check that out, looks like a great deal, as usually I pay $15 for a 5lb bag.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.