Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior George learned a new trick!

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Well it's not really a "trick" but he's learned that the when the fridge opens, it's a good thing, because whenever I open the fridge he starts wheeking. It's so adorable, I just had to share! lol

What cool tricks do your piggies do? :eek:

Hmm.. You know what I find weird? Pigs learn to wheek at things, but they usually take forever to learn that we humans won't hurt them!

I mean, my pigs know exactly when I wake up. As soon as I turn off my fan and roll out of bed, I can hear them rustling around in the cage and quietly wheeking. When I walk through my living room, they run around and begin wheeking louder. When I step into the kitchen, they go nuts! If they hear the fridge open, it's piggy mayhem.

It's crazy they learn to associate all these different sounds, but they always run when a big, scary monster (me) approaches the cage. Yanno? Why is it they can learn the teensiest crinkle of a bag means they are getting fed, but they are taking forever to learn that I'm not going to hurt them?

Random thought, sorry. :x your post got me thinking, so I felt like sharing.

Thats super cute! My last guinea pig, Sugar Magnolia who has passed on now, used to try and climb INTO the fridge when I opened it up, like she was looking for the snacks with me. It was adorable!

And I know what you mean Kieri it took Sug a long time to get used to and comfortable with me, but the sounds I made before interacting with her always made her perk right up!

I know exactly how that is! Whenever I go to pick up George, he runs around like I am going to have him for dinner! This happens every day, and he doesn't learn that I am a nice person, and I only want to give him cuddles, but he knows that me opening the fridge or the bag of food means it's dinner time! :eye-poppi

Thats super cute! My last guinea pig, Sugar Magnolia who has passed on now, used to try and climb INTO the fridge when I opened it up, like she was looking for the snacks with me. It was adorable!

And I know what you mean Kieri it took Sug a long time to get used to and comfortable with me, but the sounds I made before interacting with her always made her perk right up!

I have noticed making sounds or talking to them helps ease their fearfulness! I usually call out, "Pig pigs!" or I wheek at them as I approach the cage. This gets my piggies all sorts of excited hehe.

I'm sure it doesn't help their cage is on the floor. I've read being housed so low to the ground makes us appear much larger to piggies. I want to elevate the cage but I'm not sure how to do it.

My rabbit has managed to climb in the fridge when I've opened it before! He wasn't even supposed to be in the kitchen, he just followed me because he knew snack time was overdue! Hah!

I have noticed making sounds or talking to them helps ease their fearfulness! I usually call out, "Pig pigs!" or I wheek at them as I approach the cage. This gets my piggies all sorts of excited hehe.

I've also been talking to him as I walk by so I don't startle him. He doesn't seem to care when I walk by, but when I try to pick him up or reach and pet him, he freaks out. :s

I'm sure it doesn't help their cage is on the floor. I've read being housed so low to the ground makes us appear much larger to piggies. I want to elevate the cage but I'm not sure how to do it.

Yeah I usually talk to them, letting them know i'm there, Pigson is never bothered, because he's ALWAYS eating, but Pignatius stops what he's doing, and stares at me. :p I'm sure with time they'll get excited, after all I've only had them for a few days.
My cage isn't exactly on the floor, I built a little shelf out of the grids so i could put baskets of pig stuff under it, so you can try that! it's wonderful!! It's still pretty low though, so I tend to crouch down to pet or feed them, cuz it seems to scare Pignatius when i stand up. Poor thing :p he'll get used to me eventually, and I can't wait for that day! :]

I've also been talking to him as I walk by so I don't startle him. He doesn't seem to care when I walk by, but when I try to pick him up or reach and pet him, he freaks out. :s

I do the same as more people have said, talk to them berfore I try to touch them. But the best thing I did for my younger piggie was to spend about 2 weeks without any touch at all! All I did was ignore him completely but cleaned the cage with a spoon (i know) and gave him loads of veggies but never ever touched him. After about 5 days without any touch and just cleaning the cage, talking in soft voice and bringing veggies he started to follow my hand around the cage wheeking and slowly I started touching him.

At least this is how I did it with Hrói :)

My piggies do the same with the fridge and bags rustling, ect. It's such an amazing/cute moment once they start doing that! Congrats! ❤️ Enjoy your wheeking piggies!! I love it when my do that. :love:

My piggies do the same with the fridge and bags rustling, ect. It's such an amazing/cute moment once they start doing that! Congrats! ❤️ Enjoy your wheeking piggies!! I love it when my do that. :love:

"When MINE do that".. Ugh.. Typos. Lol!

But notice, Hrói was just a baby when I got him and the only piggie in the crate so it was easier for me to not clean the cage for 2 weeks except from the spoon-cleaning and fleece changing...

Thank you! I think it's adorable! :eek:

My sow Toni can sit up on her hind legs when I say 'Up!' Then she gets a piece of hay or veggie. They also have fiddlesticks in their cage, and when I tell Griffin 'Climb the mountain!' he will put his two front paws on them to get a piece of hay. They are both so sweet and cute.

My sow Toni can sit up on her hind legs when I say 'Up!' Then she gets a piece of hay or veggie. They also have fiddlesticks in their cage, and when I tell Griffin 'Climb the mountain!' he will put his two front paws on them to get a piece of hay. They are both so sweet and cute.

Oh, that's adorable!

The wheeking for bag rustling is not really a "trick" per se. They just learn to associate that sound with food being on the way. Most pigs will do that eventually. My pigs also associate that when they hear the fridge open

The wheeking for bag rustling is not really a "trick" per se. They just learn to associate that sound with food being on the way. Most pigs will do that eventually. My pigs also associate that when they hear the fridge open

I know it's not exactly a trick, I just thought it was cute. :)

Today I'm going to start teaching my pigs the circle trick. I'm excited about that. Has anyone else taught the circle trick to a pig?

Our guinea pigs are the same way. The thing that is interesting is that they think we are going to eat them when we try to take them out of their cage area but when we are with them in their play area they are calm. We have a rat that is the same way. I wonder if it is something about their cage being home and they don't like it invaded.

Borat sits up, and I'm slowly but surely teaching Amy to do the same. She's done it a couple of times now, but she seems to have more trouble getting up on her hindquarters than he does. When she doesn't sit up all the way, she at least lifts a leg like she's giving he a high five.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.