Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy General Pregnancy Questions

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
So I have a bunch of pregnancy questions that I was hoping to get answered all in one post (and maybe help some other people searching through tons of threads).

First a little bit about my situation...(This is all before I found this site.)
I got two girl guinea pigs from a local pet store, I believed it was much better than petco or petsmart. I was extremely wrong there, it is much worse. They had a very large 'cage' (it was basically a big area with glass walls, open at the top) so I thought that was a good sign, they weren't in a tiny glass aquarium. However, what I didn't realize was that both female and male guinea pigs were kept together and could be pregnant.

Coincidentally, my sister is now working at this pet store after previously working at petco. At petco she says they do hourly checks on all of the animals and if they are sick she personally took them to a vet in the same plaza. After working in this pet shop he comes home upset because of the things she sees; animals without food or water, pregnant animals, sick animals (a guinea pig with bite marks all over him). Things that make me extremely upset. The are not taking care of their animals at all, if they become sick they are left in the back room to die. I really want to do something to stop this, some kind of petition or something. If someone would be willing to help me out with that, maybe just even a thread somewhere else? I am also planning on going back there and demanding the pellets and such that I need for pregnancy.

My sister told me to do whatever I need to do for my piggies (regardless of her working there.) She also told them that my piggies are pregnant and they told her that I could bring the babies back to them, but there is no way I will be doing that because who knows what they will do with them. I would much rather find someone I know will take good care of them.

I'm sorry that was so long and not about pregnancy! About the pregnancy..
I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume they are both pregnant, correct? One of them, Daisy, is very round and 'pear shaped'. I don't feel any knots or movement yet though. The other one, Panda, seems a little rounded, but I'm not sure yet. Just kind of assuming considering the circumstances..

My questions are:
1. They need special pellets, the 'young guinea pig food', right? I get Oxbow.
2. Do they need extra veggies? Or more of a certain kind?
3. It is safe for Panda to be with Daisy (pregnant) while she gives birth?
4. Should she/they still have playtime?
5. Is it still safe to handle them? If so, up to what point?
--I have a pet store cage right now (it is the largest one I could find, and it was before I knew about the C&C cages, but I believe it's the time size as a 2x4. I know I will need a bigger cage..
6. How big will the cage need to be after the babies come?
7. How to baby proof it? (C&C cage)
8. When she goes into labor, if there are any complications and I need to take her to the vet, how long is safe? My vet is about 15/20 minutes away and I'm worried about that. (I have read the guinea pig lynx page about labor.)

I'm sorry this was so long, with the background information and my questions. I just wanted to get everything together in one post.

Please do not give me a hard time about the cage size or buying at a pet store. I know I need a larger cage (I would just like to know what size) and the pet store part is already done. The way I think of it is that I rescued my two piggies because who knows what would have happened to them there. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.