Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Gender of Guinea pig? URGENT

• Thread starter Daisy and butterscotch
  • Start date

Daisy and butterscotch

Cavy Gazer
My parents are so sure she was a female, we even got her another friend. But now I’m concerned she might not be but my parents don’t believe me. Please help! Could she just be a girl with weird looking parts?

Attachments

AC3CA902-61C0-44A1-A823-E21E78E83D44.jpeg
She definitely looks like a male. How long have the two been together? If you can get her to a vet that’s good with Guinea pigs they may be able to help if your parents are still doubtful. I would also suggest taking the friend to the vet too especially if she starts to show signs of pregnancy.

Nope, she's a boy. Separate your pigs immediately.

There's no need for a vet visit, especially at this point. The vet wouldn't be able to tell if she's pregnant.

General of thumb: Never put two pigs together without turning them over and comparing their private parts. If they don't look the same, they're not the same, and they shouldn't be paired.

I concur that the genitals pictured are that of a male. Here is part of a recent post that I made about sexing cavies.

The left one is a boar and the right is a sow (using proper names). In the male, the penis is very distinctively a separate structure all its own, while in the female the little protrusion is a part of the rest of the structure and the whole thing is "Y" shaped.

With the male, rub gently back and forth (transversely) across just above what you think is a penis (withdrawn/hidden) and you just may get him to extrude it. Voila! You have your confirmation.

If you would like our input, take pics with very good lighting and focus......just like the pics attached. BTW, all cavies have nipples and are of no help when sexing them. Also, don't assume that folks who work in a pet store have any more experience than you.

Male..................................Female

Attachments​

Piggy boy.jpg Piggy girl.jpg