Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Gender identifying?

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
I know these 2 are just shy of 4 weeks, but Im dying to try to figure out if they are boys or girls. I took a closer look this morning and they both look the same to me. Since Valentine is the bigger of the two, I tried to get a video of a "close up" ...a very wiggly uncooperative bay with no one to hold the camera for me, i tried to set the camera on the table and do it myself;) The very end the camera takes focus the best I could get. Im thinking these are boys. can anyone give any input on your opinions, or is this jsut not clear enough to tell with this video? Im going to try to get a better shot when the kids are up and can help me out.
boy? - YouTube

e
dited to add: I dont normally hold them like this! I was trying my best to turn the baby over and it didnt like it at all

Ok, I looked again when the baby calmed down more and, its a boy, I have no doubt. the more I looked ant angle though, i could not get the same results by pressing, even though they look very similar, so now Im not sure what to do. I have an adult sow, and what appears to be a baby sow, and a baby boar. I have a 2 x 4 cc cage. I know its not big enough to cplit in 2 and have the 2 girls on one side and the boy on the other. The vet told me I cannot introduce other guines pigs into these babies lives due to their weak immune system, so rehomeing the boy to another family wont work unless he goes all alone, and I hate to subject him to a life of solitude. I have a possible home for the adult female....is it possible to keep the 2 babies and split the cage in 2 so they cant mate? I jsut dont know what to do. this whole gunies pig pet thing has turned into an emotional disaster for the kids and I, and I cant add more and more cages....what should I do??????

See Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig -- they've got great pictures for comparison. If you can get better pictures of yours, that would help.

If they're four weeks old, separate the males now. Can you split the cage into a 2x1 for the baby bow and a 2x3 for the others? Or a 2x1.5 and a 2x2.5? I know it's not ideal, but you need to do something immediately -- the males should have been separated at three weeks. That will give you time to figure out what you're going to do.

There's no problem with introducing other pigs to the babies as long as the others have had proper quarantines (3 weeks). That protects all your own pigs from parasites and diseases, not just the babies.

At 3 weeks, I still couldnt tell for sure the gender as they were still pretty smaller than average. As soon as I noticed "boy" for sure on valentine, I split the cage into 2 2x2 sections for now. Angel, the smallest one, I still cant identify. My brother, who breeds Guineas, came to visit today and he is even not able to tell for sure what this baby is. His guess is girl, but says she is still very immature physically and he cant say for 100%. Im going to keep checking every few days to see if anything obvious "pops out";). Either way, Angel is in with Nanny-Skittles at this point as she still freaks when she is out of sight/range and did not like the 3 minutes she was on the other side away from her at all.

Valentine at first seemed very unhappy, but he seems to be adjusting fast. I sewed together a new cozy for him today and he took right to it...he looks pretty depressed in this photo, but he has been still eating and playing a lot so Im almost thinking he is enjoying having the place to himself for a change. As soon as Im sure of the gender on the other baby we'll have to decide a longer term arrangement in cage set up.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Gender identifying?

If you've got one still unidentified, separate it by itself. If it's male and with the female, it can impregnate her. If it's female and is with the baby boy, she can get pregnant.

Take some good pictures with a camera and post them here, someone will help you identify the gender.

(broken link removed)

this is the best I can do on my own with a squirmy baby....hope someone can help me out here!

sorry, I should have washed their butt before I took these photos ;)

no offence @mosey2002 but their animals, they will always be a little dirty. Trust me, we can ignore it.

It looks like my mail when I first got him. Feel above the bottem and their should be this tube thing, you cant see it but you can feel it. If you can, you have a boy.

go to the cavyspirit.com sexting page, ton of pics, they are all helpful!!

thats the thing...my boy, which I know 100% is a boy, looks like this, but i cant feel that tube part, or get him/her, er, aroused to where its obvious. This baby had a very strange hind quarters...very bony pelvic area, and s/he walks on her hind end differently than the others. My borther said it looks almost like a small deformity of sorts, so Im wondering if that is why Im not feeling the same parts? Ill see if I can get a video.

ok, but for now, seperate "it" from the others. He/she may make another pregnate. You DO NOT want babies.

Mabey you could take him/her to the vet and have them check it out.

that's the problem, the only vet that will take a look at them is about 45 miles away and will charge me $58 just to take a look. Ill see if I cant figure out a way to separate all three of them at this point. Ill try to get more photos when the kids can help me with the camera too.

Ok, now i am dying to know if "it"is a he or a she!!

I am guessing boy, but before I can see more pics, I wont garenty it.

you and I both!

I am looking at the cavyspirit sexting page and your little guy looks like pig number 4, 6, and 8 (keep in mind they are making the penis entrude, it doesn't natrally atick out like that).

But the very last picture looks like a female. Baste on all the of the pictures, if you can't feel a tube I say you have a female.

Man I keep going back and forth!!

I added a few more photos. My camera just isn't going into focus when I zoom...there is too much white on the body and its struggling to find a focus point. Ill keep trying!

Well, this seems haphazard so far. I hope you have separated that pig from any others, since you don't know the sex.

Looks female from here, but nobody will know for sure without feeling around.

Also, "sexing" is determining the sex of a guinea pig. "Sexting" is what gets hormonal teenagers in trouble.

I added a few more photos. My camera just isn't going into focus when I zoom...there is too much white on the body and its struggling to find a focus point. Ill keep trying!
Jsut added 2 more...the last two in the album as as close as I can get

Well, this seems haphazard so far. I hope you have separated that pig from any others, since you don't know the sex.

Looks female from here, but nobody will know for sure without feeling around. lol. yes, they are all separate at the moment.

Also, "sexing" is determining the sex of a guinea pig. "Sexting" is what gets hormonal teenagers in trouble.

She's a girl.

And it's not a deformity. Many baby girls have a little nub there. But that Y shape means girl.

Also, there's something wrong with that baby--why is her hair so sparse there, and there's some scaly stuff on the skin? What type of bedding do you have them on?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.