Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Garages

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
I have been looking around on the site and I have seen many things about how bad it is to have pigs' cages in garages. I live in So. Cal. but it never gets above around 80 degrees in the garage and I have MANY frozen water bottles in their cage. In the winter it obviously warm because I am in California. But sometimes it will get a little drafty but I have a powerful heater in there too... So what do think? Is it okay? I really don't have much of a choice though... All the rooms in the house are occupied. (guest room, office, etc..) My mom just won't let me have them anywhere but in the garage.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
You can't manage to put them anywhere else? I don't think I would leave my pig in a room that got above 75 degrees, maybe even 70. I keep my pigs in the basement, with a dehumidifier and a nice stable temperature of 65 degrees. However, I would ask someone more knowledgeable about this.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I live in my garage basicaly. My room was converted but it wasent insulated and it doesent get heated. I would say your garage is ok. My pigs live outside when its not over 80 degrees or raining.

You can also stick a brick in the freezer and then give it to them when its hot. My pigs do fine. Just make sure you moniter the temp in the garage. I would keep a fan running on them when its hot too. I always put a few ice cubes in their cage. My pigs chew on them and lay in the cold water.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I agree with tasha. Just as long as you spend time with them and monitor them.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Ya, I forgot to add that :)

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Yes, of course, I spend a lot of time out there! I practically spend my entire day out there! :)

jennz11

Cavy Slave
Do you not use ur garge for cars piggielover??

LucyLou

Cavy Slave
My pigs live in a shed. Their cages are on a specially made table that is about 1 meter off the ground. The shed is basically divided down the middle...pigs on one side, Dad's work things on the other (he's a tiler).

My mum is like yours, PiggieLover...no pigs in the house. But she allows me to bring in pigs who are old or sick during hot weather. The rest get ice blocks (another idea is to freeze milk bottles so the pigs can lie on them) and Ceramic bowls to lie in.

Another tip: put pollystyrene around their drink bottles to keep the water from warming.

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Well, I live in California. Here, because people have no basements, they store everything in their garage... So really no one uses their garage for cars that much... It is weird, huh?

jennz11 said:
Do you not use ur garge for cars piggielover??

LucyLou

Cavy Slave
I live in Australia where the weather is very warm, and depending where in Aust you live, can also have humidity as great as 80 and 90%!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Thats true. Everyone does use their garages for everything but their cars.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
I used to keep my piggies in the garage (for about two weeks), but the cats who like spend time out there bugged them too much, and my mom is just anti pigs no matter where they are. So now they live in a shed. We don't use our garage for anything but storage. Our cars are parked in our drive way.
The weather where I live is really extreme or at least it is to me. In the winter it gets super cold and in the summer it gets super hot. Just icky weather.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.