Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

GAH!

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
The person we got Chuzzle and Sugar from had a litter of 3 pups. One of whom got adopted/homed before we got our girls. Guess they might have missexed the third because I'm thinking Sugar is pregnant (the "we think all 3 are girls..they look it anyway" should have made me think..but in reality I can't fault the guy, he didn't know about Guinealynx until after he homed the littermate). Chuzzle is not. If she were she'd be the same size as her sister, and she isn't. I made DOUBLE sure that Chuzzle was a girl, I did the "Pop up penis surprise" test and didn't get the penis, Didn't get a penis on Sugar either.. Sugar and Chuzzle were the only ones left out of the "Whoops Pet Store Pig" Litter that our friend had, so I couldn't inspect their littermate myself. But all signs are pointing to boy piggy. I got them when they were about 2 and a half months old. I'm thinking Sugar might have went into Estrus first out of the 2 and he homed their littermate/brother right before Chuzzle went into estrus. I know that Estrus can start as early as 4-6 weeks so yeah the time frames line up. Sugar at 4 weeks, find home for brother (missexed sister) Chuzzle at 6 weeks..

Pay day isn't till the 15th, but if she is pregnant, we aren't looking at seeing any pups until the beginning/mid May. *sigh* Nothing is ever simple with piggies eh? Anyway I'll post pictures ASAP. my camera battery is dead.

If she is pregnant, for lap time I'll give her some kale and alfalfa hay during lap time for the added calcium.

Let's see how charged my battery is now.

[GuineaPigCages.com] GAH!

There we go. You can judge for yourselves. *sigh*

Looks a bit bulgy. Hard to say with just that pic though...

Here are a few more pictures, along with proof that Chuzzle is a she and not a he. (3 month old piggies, and no testicles)

[GuineaPigCages.com] GAH![GuineaPigCages.com] GAH![GuineaPigCages.com] GAH![GuineaPigCages.com] GAH!

Attachments

011.jpg
Looks like she MIGHT be. You should try searching the other pregnancy topics on here and see if you can find answers that will help. Good luck!

She could be, but she could just be a little pudgy. Does she have any other signs of pregnancy?

She could be, but she could just be a little pudgy. Does she have any other signs of pregnancy?

I gently palpated her and I felt something in the belly. I'm not a vet, but I did take an animal care aide certificate course so I kinda have some vetrinary background (I can never spell that word >.> )

I gently palpated her and I felt something in the belly. I'm not a vet, but I did take an animal care aide certificate course so I kinda have some vetrinary background (I can never spell that word >.> )

If it's something hard it could be a baby piggy, or it could be cysts (I'm no vet so this is just speculation and what I've read online)

looks like it to me

Ok at 3mos of age, Chuzzle is 12oz Sugar is, 16oz that is a pretty significant difference since they are from the same litter and they eat the same amount of food. *shakes magic 8 ball* All signs are pointing to yes *sigh*

Bummer. Hope everything goes well for you though.

I hope so too. At least she's still a young pig, so her pelvis hasn't fused. Less complications in that way at least. But it's still her first litter. I hope I don't get any lethals :( That would make me sad. (Since she's a roany/dal type, Chuzzle has definite roaning...) I don't remember what my friend said their brother looked like...I'll have to call and ask. Heck I'll have to call him anyway to let him know, so he can tell the people who got their brother that, it's a boy

So is there any hints on giving Sugar Alfalfa without Chuzzle getting any? Should I put her in the floor time pen with a handful of Alfalfa and let her chow down?

You could feed it to her during lap time, she'll eat it up. It doesn't have to just be Alfalfa though, any veggie with extra calcium will be good.

So, Baby spinach, dandelion greens (We have tonnes of Dandelions on our lawn, no we don't use any chemicals at all on our lawn it isn't allowed here) and parsley...cool cool.

Oh another question: What if I get a lethal? What should be the course of action? You saw Sugar's coloration, I have no idea what coloration the brother/daddy/uncle was..the guy just said "Black with some orangey tan bits" So I don't know if he carries the rn gene. You can see Chuzzle and Sugar both have some form of roaning...*sigh*

Oh another question: What if I get a lethal? What should be the course of action? You saw Sugar's coloration, I have no idea what coloration the brother/daddy/uncle was..the guy just said "Black with some orangey tan bits" So I don't know if he carries the rn gene. You can see Chuzzle and Sugar both have some form of roaning...*sigh*

There is a lady who runs a sanctuary who belongs to another forum I'm on, and she has 2 lethals, they seam to live reasonably happy lives even though they are both blind and deaf, all be it with carefully managed environments :)

Yeah the lady who taught my animal care aide class, she was fostering a lethal rat. He was doing pretty good, he was trained to let his care takers clip his teeth too. I don't know though, I think using dog nail clippers to trim the teeth would be painful for the animal. This guy didn't mind it.

I cannot imagine clipping teeth. It took me years to get comfy with clipping dog nails, and now I clip all the neighbors animals-dog nails, bunny nails, etc. They're still too scared. Teeth? I think I'll pay the vet, LOL.

As for lethals, I would wait to see what kind of problems they have, and if you think you can manage them. Sometimes I think the best thing to do is euthanize if the problems are too severe, and the animal is in pain, or unable to eat or eliminate. Sorry. Hoping for the best for you all.

Thanks. I'll definitely post baby pictures though!

Yeah I have no problems trimming nails, Dogs, Cats, Piggies...No qualms at all. just takes tons of patience and treats lol. I can't' imagine trimming teeth either. My teacher just took a dog nail clipper said "open" rat opened his mouth and *snip snip* done...was wild.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.