Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming FURminator Small Animal deshedding tool?

betty

Cavy Slave
Has anyone tried this on their cavy? Molly has very long and thick fur that sheds non-stop. I am thinking that she will get very hot in the summer and want to thin it out a bit using this (broken link removed)

I haven't tried this particular one, but a similar tool for my dog. Disaster. It both pulled & didn't work as promised.

The best way to go is to brush regularly with a brush that doesn't pull or hurt like a travel sized Tangle teezer. And to cut the hair regularly, shorter during the summer months. Some trimming tools can successfully but carefully be used on pigs if you have them available.

That brush sucks. What it does is rip and pull the hair out rather than bushing and hair coming out on its own. Dogs don't like it (I imagine guinea pigs would like it much less) and it takes living healthy hair out of their coat making you think you are getting dead shed hair. It's awful and the results are not that great as far as controlling shedding.

Thanks for the feedback! I will not purchase this brush. I do comb Molly's fur daily during lap time and it stays clean and tangle free, just worried about keeping her cool during the summer. Her fur is so thick that it takes a serious amount of water to get her wet all the way through during baths.

If you can't afford expensive trimming scissors, try regular fabric scissors & use them only for cutting her hair. Cat/dog trimming machines could also be used, but the good ones are expensive as well. Always leave a bit of length though, to protect her skin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.