Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bathing Fur looks weird/ dry ?

iovmae

Cavy Gazer
Hello my name is Mae and my guinea pigs name is pumpkin he’s a very sweet boys and I believe around 7-8 months old I recently gave him his first bath with some unscented dandruff shampoo behind his ears and also gave his scent gland some cleaning with coconut oil and now his fur looks very weird, I gave him a bath because of his insistent itching he has had more treatment in the past ( just in case ) per his vets instructions but seemingly after another vet visit they’ve come to the conclusion that he’s just scratching for behavioral reasons as when I rescued him he was abused but I decided to give him a bath anyways just in case it could be anything else he’s been scratching really bad at his ear on the back of it but everything seems to have cleared up and gone back to normal after giving him a scrub so my question is now does anyone know how long it takes for there coats for again they’re natural shine ? Pictures below if what it looks like now compared to before it’s dry and kind of sticking out but it feels soft, super clean and it feels silly but it looks dry and is kind of sticking up

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg EA56455E-906E-4B73-8736-018AE474886B.jpeg 0AACF403-13ED-463A-9EA7-8276D77AD78C.jpeg IMG_4136.jpeg
Pumpkin is very cute and he’s lucky to have someone like you who is concerned about his care.

When you mention vet treatments, was that for mites? When I adopted my piggy, the humane society said they use Selamectin for monthly mite prevention. A treat of that might be a good idea.

As far as shampoo, my vet recommended using an anti-fungal shampoo like Davis Miconazole when my piggy was scratching and had skin issues on her feet and ears. It worked quickly and cleared up her skin.

Also for further information
Pumpkin is very cute and he’s lucky to have someone like you who is concerned about his care.

When you mention vet treatments, was that for mites? When I adopted my piggy, the humane society said they use Selamectin for monthly mite prevention. A treat of that might be a good idea.

As far as shampoo, my vet recommended using an anti-fungal shampoo like Davis Miconazole when my piggy was scratching and had skin issues on her feet and ears. It worked quickly and cleared up her skin.
hello yes ! He’s been scratching since the day I got him and they’ve run every test possible and still see no issues internally or externally and it’s come down to it just being behavioral/learned habits form his previous stressed/environment and situation before me but he was prescribed icevermin^ I believe or something like that and he still gets it behind his ears/shoulder blades once a month and it was a just in case thing, I believe I may have left product on his bum or some of his fur and that’s why it’s not gone back to normal so I will be giving him a warm bath in just water tomorrow to get any lasting product off if that’s the case, but another rising issue is that he’s been sneezing ? And I felt a sort of wet spray earlier today but I checked his nose and it was all clear inside his nose just now seems a bit red and I hope I’m just imagining things but I believe he’s been making a small clicking/ bubbling noise almost like static and this has been on and off for a while ( various vet appointments) they’ve done every scan possible and say they can’t find anything and that he’s perfectly fine clean bill of health

Could Pumpkin possibly be allergic/irritated by something in his cage? What kind of bedding are you using for him?

Could Pumpkin possibly be allergic/irritated by something in his cage? What kind of bedding are you using for him?
Pumpkin doesn’t exactly have a “cage” he’s free roamed most of the day and then goes back in his cnc at night time he’s just been acting really weird after his bath and again I’m wondering when his fur will go back to normal

Here’s a picture of his home he is a solo boar he was isolated when I got him back in October of last year and I’m homeschooled so that helps alot were together often but I’m aware they need companions we’ve been looking into shelters/ rescues here in nc hoping to find one that has visitations so he can pick out his own friend but I’d like to get his health under control before then

Also here’s a picture of pumpkin before his bath and after :<

Before

After

cute piggy! his fur will probably go back to normal soon, don't worry too much.