Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Fungus?

Squint96

Well-known Member
Cavy Slave
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
534
So today during lap time I noticed Squint had some hair on his chin missing, with some crusties. Lately his chin has had crust on it, but I figured it was just food/water stuck to it. Here are some picks, I'm like 90% sure its fungus, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Fungus?
[GuineaPigCages.com] Fungus?
[GuineaPigCages.com] Fungus?
And one for fun:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Fungus?
P.S- I never hold him upside down, but it was necessary for these pictures
 
Poor piggie. He's saying "What the heck?! Aghhhh!" I just had to laugh, he looks so dismayed in the pics. Sorry, I can't answer to the fungus question, I haven't had that problem yet. Although with my luck, I'm sure something will come up soon....
 
Haha, He was so good though, usually when he is being held for a picture he is crazy!
Thanks!
 
It does look like fungus. I'd go ahead and try some over the counter fungal creme, and rub it in pretty good for three times a day.

There's always the possibility it's mouth sores.
 
What meds would you suggest, obviously it is close to the mouth so it can't be dangerous for him to digest, and I don't know much about piggy medicine!

Thanks!
 
My girl had a fungus in the same spot. I used monistat, the one people use for yeast infections. Put a small amount on twice a day until the hair starts to grow back, once it does continue to use it for another two weeks to make sure it is all gone. You need to full disinfect the cage and everything in it. Anything wood in it throw out, there is no way to get all the spores out. You need to wear gloves and wash yourself thoroughly after handling him otherwise you'll get ringworm =/
 
The cage is wood, but painted-that's okay right? I'll disinfect tomorrow when I clean the cage.
 
I meant to ask, what should I use to disinfect the cage? And do I need to do the same to Benjamin cage? (He is right below Squint)
 
To disinfect the cage youcould use a 70% bleach solution i guess. You could also use pomagranet exract...??? You use that for birds (which have really sensitive respritory systoms) to disinfect their cages so i guess you could use that for guinea pigs... Wishing you luck!! :D
 
Honey, you may want to use gloves starting today. Fungus is VERY contiguous and you MUST wash your hands and lower arms for at least 30 seconds. Clean the whole house with 30% bleach solution and higher for the cage. Notice! Wood cage will be threw away. It is impossible to completely clean it. Fungal spores can hide in everywhere, especially wood made cage!
 
I believe that if you treat the cage with bleach and then allow it to dry totally, you may get away without having to throw it away.
 
wow 70% bleach! No Way! The recomended solution is 2oz bleach added to 1 gallon of water. Rinse well after and dry the area.
 
I have never used bleach around my pigs. Partly because I myself is allergic to it. I use diluted vineger instead of bleach.

Squint96 is there any way you could change your cage to a c&c cage. Wood absorbs all urine and whatever and really is hard to clean and keep sanitary. Just a thought because I have not seen pictures of your cage.
 
The cage is completely painted to keep out the urine from rotting the wood, so I assumed the spores wouldn't be able to get through the paint right?
 
And do I need to completely disinfect Benjamin's cage too? Here is a picture of their cage, Benjamin is on the bottom level.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Fungus?

And, what do you mean clean my whole house with bleach? That seems impossible. They don't really get opne floor time, they are on sheets which I threw away, so I'm hoping that is unnecessary...
 
Squint, i think they meant (and i could be wrong) clean the whole piggie house and everywhere they have been. I would not use more than a ten percent bleach/water solution, but that's just me. I've been told up to a 1:40 solution, I used 1:20 when i cleaned. Spray, let sit for fifteen minutes and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Did i say to rinse? :) I let all my stuff dry and if i smelled bleach AT ALL, i cleaned with vinegar/water solution to really get it out and rinsed throughly again. I would clean both cages, since you're already doing it, instead of finding out later it's infected too and having to clean them both anyway. I also use the vingear cleanup with the water bottles and stuff regardless of bleach smell. Regarding the cage, you could always try and keep it and see if the fungus comes back. If so, you know you have to get rid of the wood; if not, good!! Treating fungus is easy and cheap, so i would think it's worth a try, but would check them over very throughly once a day for a while so if teh fungus comes back you catch it right away. Good luck!!
 
Okay, most of the spot on Squint is gone, I could only manage 1 application per day with my schedule, but I would suspect it will be gone in a few days, so yay! My real question is when is he no longer contagious? Is it after the medication is applied the first time, second time, or when the spot is totally gone?
PS No new spots have formed on anyone (pig or person) so I think I may be out of the woods...knock on wood :)
 
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Similar threads

TandM
Replies
1
Views
384
bpatters
bpatters
Guinepigmom_2.0
Replies
1
Views
796
bpatters
bpatters
didibangi27
Replies
0
Views
592
didibangi27
didibangi27
chellebanelle
Replies
14
Views
4K
bpatters
bpatters
dahlivy
Replies
1
Views
2K
bpatters
bpatters
Top